Another clothes thread (sorry)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 10, 2017
Scotland
Hello everyone. I am relatively new to camping and the outdoors etc and i seem to have everything covered so far.....apart from clothing. I would like suggestions on trousers/jackets/undergarments etc

The cheaper the better of course but i dont mind paying more, basically what is the best you have used and what will you not leave at home ?

I will be climbing Munros and wee overnighters all around Scotland.

Thanks in advance.

GlenV

bearbait

Welcome to BCUK.

I'm a big fan of Buffalo gear for many years and have, amongst other things, a Special 6 Mountain Shirt with hood. I wear it with a merino base layer. It has to be cold before I use it, particularly on ascents, as I like to run cool when I hike. It's essentially wind-proof, shower-proof and still warm when it's wet through as long as you keep moving. Dries quickly. In my experience Buffalo also provide good after-sales service, replacing a zip for me (charged for, of course) on a well-used piece of their gear.

I'm sure others will be along soon with their 2 Euros-worth...

Aug 10, 2017
Scotland
Welcome to BCUK.

I'm a big fan of Buffalo gear for many years and have, amongst other things, a Special 6 Mountain Shirt with hood. I wear it with a merino base layer. It has to be cold before I use it, particularly on ascents, as I like to run cool when I hike. It's essentially wind-proof, shower-proof and still warm when it's wet through as long as you keep moving. Dries quickly. In my experience Buffalo also provide good after-sales service, replacing a zip for me (charged for, of course) on a well-used piece of their gear.

I'm sure others will be along soon with their 2 Euros-worth...

Hi and ty. I do mind Buffalo rain jackets years ago (mountain biking) and havent heard of since this post of yours. I have heard of merino base layers via here iirc. I will have a good look with regards to Buffalo...and ty for the reply also.

GlenV

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi and Welcome GlenV,
I can guarantee that you'll get as many different answers as people replying to your thread. Clothing is a very personal thing.
These days there are some many manufacturers out there, all of whom made good, practical gear. I guess what you have to ask yourself is a few basic questions.
Do you want light weight, modern fabrics or more traditional but heavier wool and ventile etc.
Do you want cheap and cheerful or are you happy to pay for a dedicated brand.
What do you find comfortable? Some prefer snug fitting and others loose and baggy.
I could go on i guess.
Your best bet is to have a look and try stuff on. My biggest criteria is comfort and fit. I wear a lot of Fjallraven and love it, but tried some Lundhugs trousers recently (as i love their boots) and they felt awful.
The joy of bushcraft is you don't need to wear anything specific, whatever is practical and works for you is perfect.

Aug 10, 2017
Scotland
Ty for the well pointed reply baggins. Yeah i am putting them into category as i do with regards to bushcraft/camping etc.

Cheap cheerful is fine but no doubt i will want quality over cost as i do in general. I will simply try go outdoors for example and seek the cheap....then learn the wet and cold way. All part of the journey isnt it ! You have quite quickly ended this thread (in a good way) baggins. I use my phone to reply so i am not great with big replys.

I will check out Fjallraven also.

Ty for the reply.

GlenV

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Clothing is down to personal choice really but for a night out with a bit of hillwalking in winter for me would be;

Base Layers;

- Underarmour heatgear shorts

- Hellyhansen base layer (from screwfix)

- Pair of sondico long johns (sports direct i think)

- 2 pairs socks (thick and thin) probably either smartwool or bridgedale here, but anything good really.

Mid layers;

- Cheap fleece pull on (for walking in), probably just 100/200 weight (like THIS)

- Keela belay smock for stops, could use any insulated jacket here really.

- Pair of the older issue softie trousers, for at night sitting about.

Outer layers;

- Windproof top for walking in to keep the chill off, i use a top by keela but anything really, like this

- Paramo waterproof jacket, if its wet enough to put this on i'll normally take the fleece and windproof off since its quite thick. Any good waterproof would work really, don't bet on a cheap jacket keeping you dry, its needs to be past waist length and have a good hood. The keela munro is another one i would recommend and is what i used before the paramo.

- I use the issue lightweight goretex trousers if needed. To walk in i normally use a pair of craighopper or work trousers, anything quick drying really. A good pair of gaiters are essential at times and can be had quite cheap.

Everything else;

- Get a good pair of boots, if you plan on doing a bit of winter climbing up here they really need to be able to take a crampon, if its just a low level walk then i would heavily recommend something leather and high leg, like the altberg defenders or lowa patrol boots. If you choose boots with a goretex liner they'll take longer to dry if they get soaked, a few spare pairs of socks help here.

- 2 pairs of gloves or a pair of gloves and a set of mitts, depending on how cold you expect it to get. A beanie (thinsulate lined) or some other form of warm hat is essential. Get a pair of surplus goretex mit covers, they're about £5 and good for dealing with snow. Some form of headover is good to have. A balaclava is nice to have for sleeping in or to wear if the wind & snow pick up.

- Some cream in case your skin takes offence to being out in the cold wind all day.

This is obviously based on Scotland in the winter months and is only the basics, summer would be very different but unfortunately it'll be a good few months before the proper summer weather is back. I like the old traditional layers system of base, mid & outer but you could go a completely different way with something like a buffalo shirt etc.. Remember with a buffalo you need some kind of belay jacket to throw on over the top at stops. Hot food and drinks will help to make up for any clothing problems. High fat snacks and meals for if its really baltic.

You'll undoubtedly change what clothing you use as you get a bit more experience of being outdoors for a few days at a time. Try to buy good quality kit when possible, stuff like fleece pullovers etc.. just go with a cheap brand as fleece is much the same really. Stuff like boots and waterproofs you really get what you pay for. Expensive 'ultralight' kit is good in theory but often doesn't survive long when you're scrambling up a rocky path with the wind and snow blowing.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Agreed with Tonyuk here. Only changes i'd make are: skip the boots, unless you're really planning to go winter hiking. Then something insulated will be good.

Don't get goretex lined boot. As tonyuk states, those will be just hell (You can't keep your feet dry, and lined shoes or boots just trap more moisture for longer and cause feet issues (sweating, what comes in through your ankles/socks/bottom of your pants). Boots in themselves are iffy too, I came from combat boots a long time ago, and scaled it back over the years (B's, AB's, A's and now A's with a mesh top, as far from waterproof as you can get, you can see your socks through it, but my feet have been dryer than waterproof boots since i sweat a lot and the mesh just breathes and lets them dry out a lot faster. If you're used to high boots though, don't make the switch overnight to trail runners (just an example). You'll roll your ankles and be prone to injury. Your ankles will need to be strengthened over time by walking and training. You'll be a lot more flexible if you do it though.

Same goes for jackets. A waterproof jacket has a use when it's cold outside or in terrible downpours, otherwise better to just stick to quick drying clothing such as fleece and thin baselayers. No thick jackets though, since you just want your waterproof to be waterproof, not insulate (it'll warm you up plenty already due to the wind not getting through, it traps a lot of heat). In a waterproof, just stick with a light poncho i'd say, or look into jackets which also have pit zips and further ventilation options. If you want something with extra insulation for rest stops, a cheaper down jacket works wonders and packs down small, for a good boost in insulation.

I like my merino baselayers to sleep in, and have some synthetic ones by patagonia for day use.

Now, if you're just camping and moving 2-3km from your car: no problem with some heavier things, but once you actually use your gear and have to hike with it, weight becomes an issue.

Aug 10, 2017
Scotland
Really appreciate the big indepth replies guys. Using my phone so it takes a while to type ha. I will as said go over the links etc and refer back with possible purchases etc. Some items mentioned i do know of due to reading here and other places. I will link my non clothing purchases in time also.

Thanks again.

GlenV

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
Hello everyone. I am relatively new to camping and the outdoors etc and i seem to have everything covered so far.....apart from clothing. I would like suggestions on trousers/jackets/undergarments etc

The cheaper the better of course but i dont mind paying more, basically what is the best you have used and what will you not leave at home ?

I will be climbing Munros and wee overnighters all around Scotland.

Thanks in advance.

GlenV

A true Scot doesn't wear undergarments ;)

Trousers? Do you mean a fine tartan kilt.

Jackets? If it gets a little inclement perhaps a lightweight cardigan?

Aug 10, 2017
Scotland
A true Scot doesn't wear undergarments ;)

Trousers? Do you mean a fine tartan kilt.

Jackets? If it gets a little inclement perhaps a lightweight cardigan?

Haha very true.

Undergarments were regarding upper layers and emmmmm 'longjohns' so to speak. Pretty sure ma granny knitted cardys still fit tbh...20 years later !

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE