Another bicycle bites the dust - rant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I've just lost a third bicycle in about 3 years from Hampton Court Station. This is dispite being locked with very expensive d-locks.

This time the lock was jammed during the day and I couldn't unlock it last night and before I could get back with an angle grinder it had gone.

Needless to say I'm fuming and I'm planning to do a tour of the second hand shops this weekend to see if I can find it.

I'm just wondering what I have to do to keep them safe. Any ideas?

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Join the club...
I went for a drink in Amsterdam 2 weekends ago and after a few pints in the first pub my bike was gone from exactly the same place where I lost a bike 5 years ago (but that time I hadn't locked it...funny what alcohol does to the mind). Two days later some kid raced into the other bike when I brought my two girls to school....AAAAAAHRRRGGGHH!!!

Rant over...

Tom

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Dont bother with D locks, get a good quality padlock and chain. Look for the "Sold Secure" logo as well. This means its been tested to high standards, and when used on your motorbike, you can get insurance discounts, but im not sure if its the same with cycles.

HTH.

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
You need two different types of locks. Breaking each type of lock requires a different technique and tools. If someone really wants the bike then they are going to take it and there is nothing you can do, however by forcing them to carry two sets of tools it's just that bit harder. Jamming the locks is unfortunately one way of them being able to come back later and break the locks without anyone thinking anything is wrong.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I use aircraft wire cable to secure my Harley, mountain bike et all. very tough to cut without drawing attention to yourself even then it is difficult. I caught one kid worrying the cable with a simple wire cutter, and scared the cr*p out of him (really) :lmao: . There is also some really tough hardened chain out there for surprisingly less expense than rebuying another bike.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Carcajou Garou said:
I use aircraft wire cable to secure my Harley, mountain bike et all. very tough to cut without drawing attention to yourself even then it is difficult. I caught one kid worrying the cable with a simple wire cutter, and scared the cr*p out of him (really) :lmao: . There is also some really tough hardened chain out there for surprisingly less expense than rebuying another bike.

Oh my, I would have paid to see that :D

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I took our "Young Of fenders Act" to heart and offended him :naughty:
I wonder how difficult it would be to for him to explain incontinence(sp) :rolleyes:

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I feel a bit better now I'm the owner of a new Gary Fisher path. With 2 sets of locks.

The best answer would be to pack the frame with PE and wire it to a mobile phone. But that sort of thing is probably frowned on. :rolleyes:

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Bent-Stick

I feel for you! They are little s%#ts! A least they do something with with the bike. I'm just down the road from you in Sunbury, the bikes that get left at the station just get trashed! Wheels kicked in etc, mindless!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Paint the bike very badly with loud coloured outdoor paint, and put rusty looking wheels on it. If you really want to go to town get a dirty white seat then paint a small smear of 'dark oak' wood varnish in a messy stripe in the middle of the seat. Then remove front wheel when it is locked up.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Only if you have a metal frame that will conduct electricity, tie in a "fencer battery" to the frame which send out a high voltage very little amperage pulse, good for cows and other beasties. :D

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Spikey DaPikey said:
Why ? whats the frame done :eek:

My family jewels have an old business to settle with that frame... my oh my... just the memory of it hurts :eek: (which is litteraly the expression that was left on my face after that close encounter)

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Spikey DaPikey said:
Why ? whats the frame done :eek:

I know you can get briefcases that run about 10,000 volts (or the like) through the handle if it's armed - like a tazer gun. I think in the USA you can probally pick up electrical systems like this for bikes, I'm sure I've seen one for sale somewhere on the internet. If you touch the frame you get zapped :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE