Anonymous Storm - Anyone Else Getting A Buffetting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
These day’s any puff of wind worth it’s salt seems to get a name but here perched on a hill in Mid - Wales we are getting a bit of a buffetting from an anonymous storm which has constant 40 mph winds gusting to 50 mph.

Have got used to winds gusting much higher but not the constant high wind.

No trees down so far but not a day to be out in the woods. :(

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
aye, a bit blustery down here on the Sussex coast, nothing more than a good winter blow though

Reactions: MrEd

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I use a sailing weather site, but the one you suggest is much better, really useful. Thanks for that Sara. :thumbsup:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Down in North Pembs we are catching it too... no trees down but a few twigs etc.
I was to be out in the woods tonight but am playing it safe and staying at home until tomorrow as the forecast is 50mph gusting 60mph for tonight's weather...

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I use a sailing weather site, but the one you suggest is much better, really useful. Thanks for that Sara. :thumbsup:
We use it for preparing weather updates for colleagues in tent camps in remote places. It's great because you can type in their GPS location and get a fairly accurate forecast and also check for "exciting" weather heading their way.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Sundowner.....

"check for "exciting" weather heading their way."

It's nice to be able to see what's in store off to the South-West, Sara, in a quick illustrated way, just by looking at the wind animation. Lazy me, prefer that to Isobars...:D

Reactions: SaraR and Sundowner

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Naming storms is a very new thing.
Makes them important, and dangerous.
’ I survived storm Snowflake’ on the t-shirt kind of thing.

Similar to the today hugely popular ’wind chill factor’
Like I go out during winter stark naked.........

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
We've gotta stop naming weather.

It's as windy as usual up here in Buxton.....its windy. It doesn't need a name and to be asked it's gender identity lol

Reactions: Janne

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" We've gotta stop naming weather. "....:D

The original idea made sense, at least I thought so anyway. The first Atlantic Depression of each year to reach Hurricane strength was given a name...beginning with A, next one got B, Hurricane Brenda or any name beginning with B. It made it easy to refer to.... eg: Hurricane Carla 1961 and know that C was 3rd Hurricane of the year, 1961. ( I was 5 days in that one, that's why I chose it......:D

A simple name and year seems a lot easier when researching or recording than a long string of figures of a reference number, but I have the IQ of a chocolate mouse, so others may disagree.

All went swimmingly until someone decided that giving nasty weather a ladies name was politically not on, fair enough, so the names alternated male/Female. But now the world needs drama, we are all going to die from bacon sandwiches, freeze or bake to death depending on your point of view on Climate change, so bad weather cannot just be that. Come on now, which is more dramatic?..... It's going to be very windy with possible structural damage...or Stand by Government Red Warning, Storm Harold is gonna rip yer roof off...:laugh:

Reactions: Janne

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
" We've gotta stop naming weather. "....:D

The original idea made sense, at least I thought so anyway. The first Atlantic Depression of each year to reach Hurricane strength was given a name...beginning with A, next one got B, Hurricane Brenda or any name beginning with B. It made it easy to refer to.... eg: Hurricane Carla 1961 and know that C was 3rd Hurricane of the year, 1961. ( I was 5 days in that one, that's why I chose it......:D

A simple name and year seems a lot easier when researching or recording than a long string of figures of a reference number, but I have the IQ of a chocolate mouse, so others may disagree.

All went swimmingly until someone decided that giving nasty weather a ladies name was politically not on, fair enough, so the names alternated male/Female. But now the world needs drama, we are all going to die from bacon sandwiches, freeze or bake to death depending on your point of view on Climate change, so bad weather cannot just be that. Come on now, which is more dramatic?..... It's going to be very windy with possible structural damage...or Stand by Government Red Warning, Storm Harold is gonna rip yer roof off...:laugh:

Oh aye name hurricanes for sure thats understandable. They are naming an 'event' there

It was a bit windy when i woke up and calmed down by lunch. Naming that is obvious nonsense lol

*note
Hurricanes should be named after ladies because they are wet and wild when they arrive but leave devastation in their wake.....its a compliment when you think about it :)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Similar to the today hugely popular ’wind chill factor’.
That always annoys me too. -10*C and no wind and -1*C and strong wind is not the same and I'd rather be told the actual temperature and wind speed rather than a "with wind chill" number.

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
Naming storms (not hurricanes) is relatively new isn’t it, seems like its Only started in the last few years. Didn’t it start after a particularly bad storm that killed something like 15 people - seems fair enough.
The media reporting weather as news is a different topic though

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Even in Sweden they name storms, and issues coloured warnings and such....

Weird humanity has survived without this.

Living in Hurricane Alley, we tend to keep an eye on the weather forecast. But to be frank, it is a bit ridiculous. Apart from the nirmal stuff, like removing loose things from the garden, there is not much you can do.
All it does is to frighten people, specially newly arrived expats.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE