Annoying or Cool BCUK Avatars - Discuss But Without Being Rude!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think they are good way of recognizing and remembering people on line. Maybe we should get some t shirts printed up for the Moot with avatar and user name on the front?Then a first timer like me might have a chance of knowing who's who.
Mine is of me in Norway (in august) quite high up and remote, just on the way back from the top of europes highest waterfall.

You could just "talk" to people. :D

I know - it's a revolutionary idea!! :lmao:

Last edited:
Does yours keep changing Wayland? Or am I seeing things? Before Chrsitmas it was different, at christmas I think it had a hat and now its winking at me...should I be scared? :confused: :D

Mine was taken on the second last day of my Woodsmoke course and I had been trying to get a fire going with the bow all week and I finally managed it on that day. So yeh it was annoying waiting but cool when I got it going :drive:

Mine is used throughout my business and appears on paperwork, websites, teeshirts, sweatshirts, fleeces, bags, swords and I even have a hand embroidered version that hangs in the back of my displays.

It works as a logo so I hope it makes sense as an avatar as well.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
I was really tempted to use this one I found on another forum somewhere! I think I'd had a drink that evening and did actually think, for a second or two that it was really an insect on my screen...:rolleyes:
309a.gif

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I've only had three. First it was my dog (at the time), the second was a dog morphed with an orangutan. I changed to my current because of somebody saying they liked my avatar, I can't accept that!

My current is some sort of combination of a bear and a penguin, it sounds like the ultimate animal! Except for this critter:
spiderbear.jpg

The Mighty Bear Spider!

I think I had a rough night when you took that pic of me. :p

I've only had three. First it was my dog (at the time), the second was a dog morphed with an orangutan. I changed to my current because of somebody saying they liked my avatar, I can't accept that!

My current is some sort of combination of a bear and a penguin, it sounds like the ultimate animal! Except for this critter:
spiderbear.jpg

The Mighty Bear Spider!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like yours Graham :) It's not moving so fast it's migraine inducing, it's just kind of animated :)

I like ones that are recognisible. A few of the photos are so reduced in size to fit that I'm left wondering just what *is* that ??? :confused:

On the whole the forum's pretty good that way, most of the avatars are quite distinctive; very few duplicates, which helps enormously to make recognition/ member easier. It's simple to recognise friends and folks whose comments we enjoy reading :D

The, " Never, never let your gun, pointed be at any one" adage makes those more aggressively *pointed at viewer* images, unpleasant; but folks have been very understanding about changing those when asked by the Mods.

Mine ? It's the wee teacher from South Park, and she has a neat wee knife in her little green gloved hand :) and the "Oh! would you look at that?", expression is apparantly familiar enough to my friends to make the Avatar even more lifelike :rolleyes: :eek:

Too many spinning, whirling, flashing, exploding, Avatars would drive me nuts when I'm trying to read though. Thankfully most folks are courteously restrained when it comes to those.

cheers,
Toddy

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
I find people more quickly by scanning the avatars than reading usernames...Kind of instant recognition :)

I tend to use this recent picture of me quite a lot - I've been recognised in real life from my avatar. It's a great help to others when we arrange to meet.

I use the same picture as my avatar in Skype, Messenger, this forum, StackOverflow, ServerFault, SuperUser, united base players forum, my Google profile, etc.

I also don't like the animated avatars much. Apologies if it offends 4g, but the rotating avatar is a little too distracting.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I had this made as a rubber stamp when I was at university many years ago, its a kind of personal seal I guess. The stamp is green, perhaps I should change my avatar to green, more bushcrafty.

I guess its a little boring, but perhaps I am too!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I guess I prefer the kind of avatar thatis personal to the person using it - a while back there was a rash of rubber ducks and other such stuff that were lifted straight off the web selection - the kind of thing like Toddy and Wayland have, or those that show the user out doing stuff. The ones that I find less apealing are those that you cannot make out...and the ones that realy annoy me (though you dont find them on this site thank goodness) are the highly animated ones. That kind of Avatar is amusing for a couple of views but a whole thread full of them is migraine inducing!
I have no problem with Grahams animation - which is kinda sooothingly slow :) - but if you scroll through pages of stuff full of explosions, stickmen dancing, bright disco lights etc etc it can be more that wearying!

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Some of the more animated ones are annoying and distracting and as has been said, migraine inducing.

I found mine online and it appealed to my sense of humour. Hedgehogs rock, i'm a squaddie (so the gas mask fits) and i fart alot (so the gasmasks fit)

I daresay someone will look at it and go "Oh no, hedgehogs in gasmasks in defiance of polution" or some other rubbish

I'm not fond of using my own mug as an avatar, it gives the kids nightmares as it is without scaring anyone else :lmao:

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I'm another who's not keen on the animated avatars.

My own is taken from a picture of a mate while we were on a canoe trip years ago. It was pure chance that the flame lept up and was captured on film like that to create the dragon shape.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE