Annoying link continuation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When I put a link into a site, if I then return a few times to get to a new line the link seems to want to carry on.

Sometimes I can delete it and it clears but 99% I have to unlink the link I wanted and then re-add it.

Clear as mud eh?

e.g

Linky

no linky

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I understand what you're saying - you enter a link and then press "return" to get a new line to give some space below the link but the forum software tries to turn your text into a link as well.

Are you just pasting a link in or using the little link button (looks like a globe with chain links on it)?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I understand what you're saying - you enter a link and then press "return" to get a new line to give some space below the link but the forum software tries to turn your text into a link as well.

Are you just pasting a link in or using the little link button (looks like a globe with chain links on it)?

Aaaah ... got it.

I encounter the same issue, though give an extra 'return' (enter) or 2. Dunno where it comes from though.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
southey had hit the nail on the head.

Unfortunately computers are rather unintelligent and do not read English. Everytime you hit a key on your keyboard the computer doesn't see an 'a' or 'b', it reads a code for that letter or key. When posting a link, the computer is looking for a white space (or rather the code for the spacebar) to show the link is finished. By pressing return / enter, the computer sees the code for that and thinks you are continuing the link as it has not seen the white space.

Oh the joy of having to work with these things :)

Ed

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers for that Ed, that makes sense

When I was putting a space in I was able to go back to the first character and delete it, and the underlined linky bit, when it was readded the link had gone.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think I get it but what's the fix? I'm just trying to add to a thread now and can't get my head round it no matter how many times I press space :surrender:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Forget that I've sussed it

Go to the new line, add a sacrificial character at the front, hit space and type the text you want, when that's done go back to the first character and delete

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just wrap your link in the url tags

[url]http://www.yourlink.etc[/url]. Sorted. If that is too much hassle, go into your usercp and change your editor type from enhanced wysiwyg to standard.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE