Animal Hair as Tinder?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just a quickie, is animal hair any good as tinder? Only reason I ask is that my other half keeps a horse and theres often huge amounts of hair around after her and the other lady down there have finished grooming them.

S

sam

as far as i'm aware, animal hair burns the same as human hair. it melts more than burns.

perhaps you could soak it in something to make it more flammable?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
As far as I know animal hair is pretty lousy tinder. It doesn't burn all that well, just crinckles up and chars. Smells bad too. I guess you could treat it with something flamable, like hairspray, but that rather defeats the object.

Wool won't burn at all, hence bushcrafters liking it for spark resistance around the fire.

You would probably make more progress by drying out horse dung and using that! :-D

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
C_Claycomb said:
Wool won't burn at all, hence bushcrafters liking it for spark resistance around the fire.

That's a real shame, because I've been pulling wool from the wire fences and posts, hoping that the lanolin would work like wax...

What about Barbour wax? I used cotton wick to apply that to my jacket (Oh, I sorted it, with an iron and an old shirt). Or maybe Barbour wax has a flame retardant, too?

Keith.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Kieth, someone tried this the other week when they didn't believe me, and sure enough the lanolin went up in flames for a few seconds leaving the smoulderind stinking wool fibres.
Not sure if thats any use.
Cheers
Rich

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Animal hair is no good as tinder! Tried it and you're right Sam... it melts more than it burns... :wink:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
TheViking said:
Hi...

Animal hair is no good as tinder! Tried it and you're right Sam... it melts more than it burns... :wink:
... and it smells real bad.

Last thing I want near my camp is that barbecued dog hair smell ... :yuck:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Wool burned in quantity gives off cyanide gas. Dried dung may be odorifous, but it is both a fuel for fire and an emergency insulating material. I once gathered old cowpies to make a mat between me and the very cold desert pavement. I had lost my mat and even my premium bag, compressed under me and that ice cold desert was less than satisfactory.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE