And you thought text slang was hard to read...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Wh47 j00 R r34d1NG 15 K4Ll3d L337, 4 L4NgU4G3 1NV3n73D 8Y P30pl3 WH0 7h0uGh7 73X7 5P34k W45 70 51MpL3 4Nd N07 K3WL. K1d5 1n 07H3R W0rD5. k1d5 70d4y 7h1NK 7h3Y 1nV3N73D K3Wl. 8U7 7h3Y R wr0ng, W3 d1d 1n 73H N1n3733N 31GH7135 l0l

Leet speak is also used by computer hackers to communicate with one another. No idea why, it's not that difficult to read...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Crackers and Script kiddys for sure, never hackers, they don't need to pretend :)

It was used a lot as you said, back in the 80's, particularly on Usenet. The idea was that the language would be scrambled so that scripts and search engines could not detect keywords, so certain things could be communicated without being scanned and either blocked or detected. As a "human" code, it's pretty poor, because you can read it easily, but it's much harder for a script to decipher - or it was back then. ROT13 was another one, but again, a very simple code to break. Then pretty good privacy came out as freeware, a really solid key-based, on-the-fly encryption system that was "government proof" and leet speak was no more. The US gov tried to ban PGP, they tried to prosecute the developer and stop it's distribution, but once it had gone wild and started to pop up on Russian and Chinese servers, they were on a loser. Any real hacker used PGP and leet speak was left to the kids.

The interesting thing about Bikers paragraph at the beginning, is what it tells us about how our brains work. We dont actually read every letter, we scan for visual patterns. Reading is all about recognising visual shapes of words, rather than deciphering an assembly of characters and spaces. Even if the actual characters and spaces are wrong, providing they trigger the right visual cues, providing the shapes of words look close enough, then we can read it.

Airdoccng to a rsrechecah at Cadmrbige Ustvieriny, it deson't matetr in waht oedrr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny iemorptnt tinhg is that the fsrit and last letter msut be at the rgiht palce. The rest can be a ttoal mses and you can siltl read it wtuhoit ploberm. Tihs is bseauce the hmuan mnid does not read evrey letetr by itlsef, but the word as a wlhoe.

:)

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Leet speak is also used by computer hackers to communicate with one another. ...

It is. I've spent quite a bit of time reading on hackers 'secret' forums and as a result I read Aaron's original post without really thinking about it.

Don't panic, I'm not into hacking, quite the reverse.

Should that be l33t, not leet?. :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As Martyn said - The human brain is tuned to read the shape of words more than individually letters - this is how we can skim read and fast readers can occasionally "guess" incorrectly. All that is happening here is we're replacing one "font" for another - once the brain is attuned to the "shapes" of the word then it finds it much simpler to read. This is why when designing websites we constantly advise people to not use ALL CAPITALS FOR THINGS, especially BUTTONS. Using ALL CAPITALS FOR THINGS ruins the "shapes" of the words and forces the brain to work hard when reading them rendering the experience more stressful/difficult/awkward.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As Martyn said - The human brain is tuned to read the shape of words ...

There was an interesting review article about road signs somewhere recently, I'll try to dig out a reference. Same issues. Anyone who drives in the UK and in Europe will know exactly what I mean when I say how much easier it is to find your way around using the road signs in England than it is practically anywhere on the continent. There's even a 'transport font':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_(typeface)

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Thing is any of these versions are only easy to read because the brain has been primed with accepted normal forms, grammar and spelling. It is not an argument for anything goes in school. Speech, writing and grammar should still be corrected.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thing is any of these versions are only easy to read because the brain has been primed with accepted normal forms, grammar and spelling. It is not an argument for anything goes in school. Speech, writing and grammar should still be corrected.

Speech, writing and grammar should still be correct.

:rolleyes:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

Of course. I don't have an issue with leet speak on the internet, it's only really used by children, but I do loathe txt speak. It is useful as a shorthand when actually using a mobile phone, but it's profoundly lazy on internet forums where a full qwerty keyboard is available to the user. I wonder if they know how ignorant it makes them appear, or if they do but just don't care?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE