and some more spoons

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The Wood household is full of knives and woodchips at the moment, it seems to be that time of year with dark evenings and the fire going that makes us want to carve. Here are a few spoons just finished by Nicola and myself.

First is a plain serving spoon in "fiddleback" sycmore. I have quite a few bits of this wood dry if anyone wants any for knife handles, it is pretty hard to carve though.

IMG_6675.jpg

This is one of our standard eating spoons made from a 2" diameter birch.

IMG_6682.jpg

And these are two shots of my favourite a wonky, organic sort of spoon carved from a crook so the grain runs round the bowl.

IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6678.jpg

All finished with a sharp knife and no sandpaper.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Great stuff, I need to come and get some time in with you guys and learn some more, I love making spoons as I can do it nearly anywhere and just do a little bit or a lot depending on where I am and what i'm doing.

thanks for posting :D

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think you hit the nail on the head there Tony. It is just so accessible, I have a lot of friends that teach pole lathe turning, people go for a week holiday in the woods and make a chair, it is an inspirational experience and a wonderful holiday but very few of those folk continue at home. You need a proper workshop space, quite a lot of tools, regular supplies of largish straight green timber etc.

We are most proud of how many folk carry on carving and making really nice stuff after our courses, it is maybe not so much to with our teaching as just how easy it is. A few simple tools, small branches as your raw material, you can do it anywhere, in the front room if you have a forgiving partner or round the campfire.

Like your spoons in the other thread by the way.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work really like the fiddleback Sycamore wood looks fantastic.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Lovely spoons, would groundnut oil be suitable for oiling, getting some walnut oil on fri but someone offered me t'other so wondered if it cured ok?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Lovely spoons, would groundnut oil be suitable for oiling, getting some walnut oil on fri but someone offered me t'other so wondered if it cured ok?

Walnut is great, not sure if groundnut (is that the same as peanut?) cures or not. But to be honest with a spoon it is not as important as with a bowl or kuksa.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE