An unusual flower

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
among things I never knew:

from Wikipedia under Other Uses

"Cardoons are used as a vegetarian source of enzymes for cheese production. In Portugal, traditional coagulation of the curd relies entirely on this vegetable rennet. This results in cheeses such as the Nisa (D.O.P.), with a peculiar earthy, herbaceous and a slightly citric flavour that bears affinity with full-bodied or fortified wines."

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
One of the reasons I wanted them HoI - we don't keep cattle but I want to get into cheese making and would prefer to make our own rennet - mind you stinging nettles work at a push!

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I have them in my garden and they flower every year - it's a south-east facing slope -so it gets loads of sun - that might do it.

The Victorians used to eat them - if memory serves they used to blanch them & eat with cheese sauce. I'm not clear in my head whether that was blanch in the culinary sense - or the horticultural sense like you would with sea kale.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In the horticultural sense mate - usually achieved by binding its own leaves up around the stem (its the stem thats eaten)

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
That's it - you've reminded me now. I believe I read somewhere (I have too many gardening books) that they also used layers of newspaper and string.

I think that it's supposed to taste like celery - which maybe why I've never tried it. I can't believe it's not stringy as heck - such a tough plant.

Reckon the ripe seed heads would make good tinder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE