An overnighter in the Netherlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Last weekend my girlfriend and I went on the first camping trip of the year. We packed our bags and our bikes and did an overnighter in a small bit of nature-reserve in a place called "Hardinxveld-Giessendam". Unfortunately wildcamping as it is seen in other countries is not really possible in the Netherlands. There are places, however, where our governmental forest management (Staatsbosbeheer) has placed a pole in the ground, and in a proximity of 10 or 20 meters of this pole you are allowed to camp for 72 hours. I think that in terms of legal overnighters in nature, these places are as good as it gets in the Netherlands. For our night out we picked an area that has large areas of wet lands that are planted with willow for the production of willow-shoots. These fields are called "grienden", and a few of them are still coppiced every 3 of 4 years. Since the demand for "griend"-wood went down years ago, many of these areas became nature reserves and are now the home of many bird and animal species. The area that we camped in even houses some beavers!

The site we went to is accesible by bike, but it does mean biking through fields and mud for a good while. If the weather would have been less dry for the past days it would have been more tricky.
P3150009.JPG

Here is how we set up our tiny camp. Our tent kept out of the wind with a 3x3 tarp folded in half as a windscreen. If it would have rained we could unfold it and use the other half to create a dry area outside of the tent.

P3150015.JPG

I couldn`t have spend a night in an area with so much willow in it without trying some basketry. Unfortunately I had no idea what I was doing so I was very unsuccesful. I`ll have to find out how to do this properly once.
P3150017.JPG

Dinner is always welcome, but especially so after spending hours having fun outside. The girlfriend prepared a lovely porkstew with red wine that we cooked on a pop can stove.
P3150036.JPG

While dinner was cooking I gathered some branches and prepared firewood for the hobo-stove. We were in need of a small fire to keep the mosquitos at bey that started popping up.
P3150047.JPG

P3150051.JPG

The next morning I went for an early walk around to explore the area. I found this willow that was surprised to see me. I also saw many water birds, and at one point got startled by a hare that followed my path in the opposite direction.

P3160059.JPG

P3160061.JPG

Here are some trees that are gnawed down by beavers in the area. I didn`t get great shots of the burrow that was close to these trees, but on the picture you can see an entrance and a canal going towards it.
P3160069.JPG

P3160072.JPG

After some tea and breakfast in the morning sun it was time to pack up and go home again. Here is our camping spot after the clean up.

P3160067.JPG

Thanks for reading! This is about as wild as camping in the Netherlands will legally get. We had fun though, and we hope to explore various other locations this year.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Really interesting trip report. What is the Dutch name for the poles that mark the camping spots? Is there a list of where they are? I may have to give this a go when next I'm in the Netherlands.

Dank u wel.

J

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
They are called "paalkampeerplaatsen", and there is a list of of them here on the official site. There is also a site of a guy who has visited many and documented what he thinks of them here. All in dutch though. Officially there should be a water tap (not drinkable) available on each location but that wasn`t the case where we went.

Thanks for the comments :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Here is a picture of what a one of those poles looks like:

P3150029.JPG

It says:

"rules of the game:
- Camping permitted withing a distance of 10 meters from this pole
- A maximum of three hiking/trekking tents can stay here for a maximum of 72 hours
- No digging and no open fires are allowed
- Do not leave any trash behind
- Pump: no drinking water"

To my surprise trashbags were provided in the hole in the pole. The pump that was mentioned was nowhere to be found though.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Brilliant thank you, I think I have a plan forming for when I'm in the Netherlands next.

Pump: no drinking water

I take it that it's ok if you boil it/treat it?

Now I find myself wondering how far I can go on my Brompton from paalkampeerplaatsen to paalkampeerplaatsen...

Dank u wel.

J

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Ah, the pump goes on the pole! I did not know that. Thanks Ahjno.

I got my hat six or seven years back in a "C&A" clothing store here. It was 10 euros from the suit department. Never regretted that impuls-purchase :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Well there is more provision for wild camping in the Netherlands than in England and most of Wales! Very enjoyable report, thanks.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As the others say thanks for posting that up Twosocks, really enjoyable report on an area I really know nothing about camping in to my pity. Looks an interesting site. I still find it so hard looking at such flat terrain, my few times in the Nederlands and Norfolk in the UK were a bit of a culture shock being brought up in hilly Scotland. It's maybe strange to someone from flatter areas but I felt more vulnerable out in the flat open; like being in a boat out at sea. Lovely country and fantastic people; I don't think I ever met a Nederlander that wasn't very friendly and helpful.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
haha, trust me there are dutchmen in all varieties out here. Nice and not-nice alike. The camping/outdoor minded people are usually kind folk indeed, but that fortunately seems to be an international trend.

Funny that you feel vulnerable in open country. I like the clear overview it provides. Sometimes in hilly terrain I don`t know where to look to not miss anything. The flat land can easily become a bit monotonous and boring though.

Haggis

Nomad
Great photos, and story line. Thank you very much indeed.

What a difference there is between camping in the Netherlands and camping here in Northern Minnesota, and yet there are many common links,,, the desire to be outdoors and to enjoying nature are among them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE