An open offer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Okay folks, here's an offer I've been meaning to make for a while.

Basically, if you happen to be in the region of South East Wales (Gwent, Newport, Monmouthshire, Torfaen, Blaenau Gwent, or the southern part of Powys) and would like some company or even a guide, then give me a call. Subject to availability (other commitments, and I work some weekends) I will be happy to show you around. My wife has even agreed that we can use the spare bedroom to put people up (1 person or couple, or two very good friends), or there are places where overnighters can be organised, on Friday or Saturday nights.

This applies to locals as well as those coming from further afield.

What I can offer:
I probably know the old county of Gwent as well as anyone alive (with perhaps two exceptions). I don't think there is a road in the county that I haven't driven, barring a few housing estates. I'm a spiders expert and generally knowledgable about the wildlife of the region. I know pretty much every nature reserve and wildlife site in the area, I've visited them all, and I know what to see, where, and when. At the right time of year I can show you 20,000 orchids in a single field. I'm also fairly knowledgeable about the local history, especially the industrial heritage (of which there is lots - see below). I'm a former teacher, and can talk for hours if you let me. I'm a moderate photographer, and have been known to do the odd bit of woodwork. I'm willing to provide local transport, and can pick people up from railway or bus stations if needed.

What my part of the world can offer:
Let's see... the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty; the Black Mountains (part of the Brecon Beacons National park); Blaenafon World Heritage Site (for industrial heritage); the Usk valley (longest river entirely in Wales); the Gwent Levels (ecologicially at least as diverse and important as the Somerset levels, but less well known); Wentwood (one of the largest remaining continuous woodlands in the UK); the South Wales valleys (bleak and urban in the valleys, but dense woodlands at the sides and open moorland on the tops). Plus the towns of Newport, Monmouth, Chepstow, Cwmbran and Abergavenny. Abergavenny is now the centre of a major 'foodie' area, for those that like good pub lunches. I can probably introduce you to a local brew or two, too :D

Please note, I'm not offering to organise a meet. By personal preference, I'm much happier with very small numbers, basically myself and no more than 3-4 other people at most. Preferably just one or two. However, if anyone knows that they are going to be in this area, or just feels like a visit and wants someone to show them around, please feel very free to drop me a PM. I'm sure we can work something out. I'm hoping that this offer will lead to me meeting a few of the people I've got to sort-of know on the forum.

Well, there it is. PM me if you are interested.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Crikey that's an offer!. I would put money on you giving up talking before I stopped listening.
Would love to take you up on that one day soon.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Can't see that it is that special. I'm offering to show people my favourite parts of my local area. Their presence means I get an automatic pass to go outside and enjoy myself :D. Besides. I can't turn the teacher part of me off, so I might as well use it. I really enjoy showing people what we have in this part of the world.

At the same time, I always find it frustrating when I go to somewhere else in the UK, and don't know the area. All you can do is look up all the tourist traps, unless you have a great deal of time to explore. In the old days people would hire a local guide, and that just seems to be the right way to go about it as far as I'm concerned. Except I'm not asking for pay, just an excuse to go out and do what I enjoy doing anyway.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Can't see that it is that special. I'm offering to show people my favourite parts of my local area. Their presence means I get an automatic pass to go outside and enjoy myself :D. Besides. I can't turn the teacher part of me off, so I might as well use it. I really enjoy showing people what we have in this part of the world.

At the same time, I always find it frustrating when I go to somewhere else in the UK, and don't know the area. All you can do is look up all the tourist traps, unless you have a great deal of time to explore. In the old days people would hire a local guide, and that just seems to be the right way to go about it as far as I'm concerned. Except I'm not asking for pay, just an excuse to go out and do what I enjoy doing anyway.

Our time is the most precious thing we have bar none.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am heading your way in the next month/month 1/2 with work. I will take the following day after my meeting off for a meet up/tour. I will let you know dates?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
That's the kind of offer that someone like myself really could benefit from. See if we can get a small group together first, after initial group trips we would all be acquainted.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all anyone who takes mike up on his offer won't be disappointed mike and i have been out on a few occasions and he is wealth of knowledge is astounding yow won't be bored i can assure you the last time we went out we saw red kites up the black mountains walked to a dam some waterfalls and fantastic views and that was just in an afternoon now I've had my new hip i hope to be getting together with him again soon regards dave

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Now that we are actually into some reasonable weather and all the flowers are emerging (the orchids are out), I thought I would bump this offer, just in case there are any takers for a walk or so.

Stepson has come home and taken over the spare room so I can't accommodate now, but overnighters are still possible if I am free.

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE