An introduction and help required.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
U

unamodo

Hi guys, I have been viewing this forum for 6 months and finally decided to register and say hi.
I am 29 year old male, living at the gateway to the yorkshire dales. I have had a keen interest in bushcraft for the last 2 years and survival techniques for the last 6 months.

I am heading upto Scotland on the 1st of May to walk the West Highland way and am planning on finishing in 4 days with an ascent on Ben Nevis and a night at the top. I am carrying all my gear and am trying to get it reasonably light and was hoping some of you on here may have some experience and be able to give some advice. My kit (Carried in a Karrimor Sabre) currently stands at 16KG excluding clothes and water.

Sleeping:
Mountain Equipment Dragonfly 2 XT Tent
Marmot Sawtooth Dry Sleeping Bag
Thermarest Prolite 4 Sleep Mat

Carrying:
Karrimor Sabre 45 plus sidepouches
Snugpak Response Pack

Food & Drink
MSR XGK EX Stove & Medium Fuel Bottle
MSR Titanium Pan Set
MSR Miniworks EX Water Filter
MSR Miox Water Purifier
LMF Spork
2 x Nalgene 1 litre bottles
Assorted Dehidrated Meals (Approx 4000 Cals Per Day)

Clothing:
Ortovox Merino 185 Baselayer L/S T-Shirt & Pants
Craghoppers Softshell Mid Layer
North Face GTX XCR Jacket
Craghoppers Polycotton Pants
North Face Goretex Overtrousers
2 Pairs Wool Socks
2 Pairs Cotton Socks
Lowa Mountain Boot GTX
Marmot Spring Glove
Lowe Alping Hat

Additional Kit (Carried In Snugpak):
Compass
GPS
OS Map
LMF Firesteel
Small First Aid Kit
Space Blanket
Fallkniven F1
Midge Net
Mobile Phone
Petzl Tikka XP Torch & Batteries

Now I have just typed that it looks like loads of kit, not sure if there's anything that can be taken off or anything that needs adding???

Has anyone done this walk before? What are the laws like up there for wild camping?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Firstly welcome to the site Jon, good to have another Leeds lad on board.

You look to have most stuff covered on your list, I think a good insect repellent would be a good idea to go with your mossi headnet. I`m sure some of the "north of the border" members can recommend an effective one. I`ve heard people mention the Avon stuff before but I can`t remember the exact name.

Also much of the walking is on tracks and military roads so you might be glad of some lighter footwear in addition to your boots. If you don`t mind racking up the miles in your boots then don`t bother.

Hoping to do the WHW this year also.

I`ve read some good stuff on the web lately so I`ll dig out some links for you.

Rich

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello Jon and welcome to BCUK, like Shewie said you pretty much have a good comprehensive kit list I don't think you could add much more. A pair of light trainers for the evenings maybe an idea.
I envy you, I walked from Malaig to Callender via the WHW back in 1986 (I was 14yrs old)
and I have always wanted to do it again but alas it has always eluded me!

U

unamodo

Thanks guys, I have currently been practising by walking 10-15 miles twice a week with a 15KG pack on. I have always used boots as I like the support they give and have been especially impressed with the Lowa's. I forgot completly about the Insect Repellant so will definaltly be packing some of that and also some sun block (Just In Case!!)

Looking forward to it and if all goes well, I'm looking at doing the 3 peaks 24 hour challenge Mid June albeit with a much lighter pack substituting the Tent, Sleeping Bag & Mat for a Terra Nova 2 person Bothy Bag and the cooking kit for my Jetboil.

If anyone is around Nevis/Fort William on Sunday 4th May, have a look out for me!!!

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Firstly welcome to the site Jon, good to have another Leeds lad on board.

You look to have most stuff covered on your list, I think a good insect repellent would be a good idea to go with your mossi headnet. I`m sure some of the "north of the border" members can recommend an effective one. I`ve heard people mention the Avon stuff before but I can`t remember the exact name.

<snip>

Rich

Likewise, nice to see another Yorkshire member ;)

I think Rich is referring to Avon Skin So Soft, which is apparently pretty effective.

Other options include loading up with lots of garlic, or maybe something like the Lifesystems Natural stuff http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/psec/insect_repellents/natural_insect_repellent.htm
(I used it on a trip to India, didn't get bitten once - but don't know how effective it is versus the midges - didn't like the idea of anything DEET-based though..)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you like Marmite and other yeast based foods, they are good for midge deterence. they don't like the high concentrations of Vitamin B the body exudes after eating the stuff!:22:

H

He' s left the building

Has anyone done this walk before? What are the laws like up there for wild camping?

While on the trail, camping is only permitted at recognised sites which tend to be spaced at convenient intervals so most trekkers cover roughly the same distance each day and tend to stop at the same places.

There are signs suggesting that the authorities get a bit twitchy about people wild camping away from these recognised sites.

I'm not sure how strictly this will be 'enforced' on your trek, but obviously this may significantly impact your plans for doing it in four days.

I did it a few years ago, so enjoy the trek and let us know if the situation is different now!

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Hi Jon,
Another vote here for avon skin-so-soft, worth it's weight in gold in the midge season, ensure you have a daft looking head net as well.

2 water filters may be overkill - lose the minox.
Get a couple of sturdy dry bags, one large one small (use a large orange survival or rubble bag as the large)
Spare compass, whistle, spare hat &gloves?

I well may see you there!
cheers

Graham

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There seems to be a few of us in the Leeds-Sheffield area. We really need to sort a place out this side of the country some time for a meet up. Welcome aboard anyway, looks like you've got some good technical kit there.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Welcome to the site. I hope you won't mind a bit of advice. It strikes me that you have a lot of gear to be hauling to the top of Ben Nevis. This hill is over 4000ft (1300m) and the climb starts at sea level and its a hard enough climb with just a day sack, believe me. Why not book into the Youth Hostel in Glen Nevis and leave your gear there. Alternatively you could camp in the campsite nearby and climb with just the stuff you need. You are bound to be tired after several days on the West Highland Way and you will enjoy the experience of Ben Nevis much more without the gear.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE