An idea for a book loan scheme

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
So in the wake of Christmas I found myself with two copies of John Seymour's Self sufficiency. Initially I considered offering it up as a swap as I have done here before, but carried on musing and came up with a possible alternative.

A few times here I have wondered about a book that has been mentioned here and either been too skint to go get me a copy or not sure I could justify another addition to the library I seem to be accumulating. So hows about this.....

1. Create a new sub forum for book loans (Perhaps for paying members only)
2. I have a book i am willing to "throw into the pot"
3. I create a new thread with the title of the book and author
4. Anyone who is interested in reading it asks for a loan of the book
5. I post them the book and they keep hold of it
6. They Mind the book for a set amount of time if there is a queue,
7. If there isn't a waiting list they hold the book till someone requests a look.

I suppose in a way its not too different to a pass around. I'm sure I'm not the only one with duplicates of books. could be a great little shared resource for this community.

Reactions: Justin Time

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I had a thread withdrawn by Admin last March / April in which I organised a pass around (or: loan if you want) for the BCUK Magazine. I knew of some people here in NL who where interested, but not knew if it was worth the money.
In the end I had to organise the lot by pm - which worked out fine.

Now, no bad words from me if Admin gives the green light for this (and not for mine :rolleyes: ;) ) - I might be in aswell, if there are some interesting books to loan ... pass around.
Though I find Admin has to have a look in this one, and come up with a good policy - not randomly allow some and some not.

And off course a disclaimer: BCUK is not responsible for any damage / lost whatsoever due to a loan (pass around) as organised on it's fora - be it on a public BCUK forum or by private message (in any form: forum pm, or personal contacts that members may have).

:p :D

D

Deleted member 4605

Ahjno said:
Though I find Admin has to have a look in this one, and come up with a good policy - not randomly allow some and some not.

Considering that this site publishes the BCUK magazine, I would say that the decision was not random and I personally have no problem with that.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
schwuk said:
Considering that this site publishes the BCUK magazine, I would say that the decision was not random and I personally have no problem with that.

If this book loan scheme comes into effect, without Admin comment, it will be.

Again, no bad words from me, as I like the idea - it's a very good one! But there must come some (basic) hard and fast rules (see the ones on BB) for this type of loans (passarounds).

I do understand your argument about this site publishing the magazine. But Admin was aware of my intentions to raise more interest in my country.
Why not commercialize your own (in my case by a member - me, because I believed the mag. would be a success) products on your own site, I ask?

Comment I got from Admin was it wasn't a good idea to organize a pass around in the way I intended to (open forum was to be avoided, but pm was perfectly acceptable), because there might be more people to follow. And sooner or later something goes wrong. Things disappear, get damaged, etc. with all sort of consequences, ... (I know that in this case it's about a double copy which is made redundant - it's all nice and good, until people join in with goods which aren't made redundant).

At the moment FM's may organise a pass around in the FM section ... I think Admin had a reason to put it there, and not on the public forum.
Nothing wrong with non-FM, don't get me wrong here, but I think it's done this way because on open forum every John Doe can join in. With the FM, you have some sort of 'certainty' - if you may call it that - the other person just wasn't out on something free - Though, off course, majority (99.9%) of BCUK members are good, decent folk.

Hope I managed to make my thoughts about this clear and understandable :D

EDIT:
maverix said:
<snip>
1. Create a new sub forum for book loans (Perhaps for paying members only)
<snip>
I would like to second this. Although it might gives more certainty, it's not an insurance. But something is better than nothing.

7. If there isn't a waiting list they hold the book till someone requests a look.

Maybe (just an idea, don't shoot me ;)) it's better if it's posted back to it's (original) owner. That way you ensure it stays available for future loans. People who are interested only have to post a message or sent a pm.

My apologise to everyone who reads this, and think I'm a nutter ... Please don't blame me, but my future profession :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE