An evening wander through my imaginary woodland

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
1st of May and had a good wander round with the dogs this evening.

Plenty of little wild oaks coming up, don't know whether these are from the acorns I scattered last year:

null_zps041984be.jpg

Also got some reasonable sized birch popping up too, one of the reasons I didn't plant any:

null_zpse673a1ac.jpg

Finally, the aspen is making an appearance, although most of them are weedier than this:

null_zps178b9445.jpg

Some of the hawthorn I planted in January and the hazel are sprouting out the top of the spirals already. Blackthorn is struggling, to be honest

null_zps270248ee.jpg

null_zps79a02748.jpg

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Brilliant! A real legacy to look forward to.

Want some elm seeds? Discovered a couple of elm trees at work (I've only been here about ten years! )

I've tried propagating elm before with no joy. I'd gladly sprinkle a few about but not the right time of year, methinks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looking very hopeful for a beautiful wood there :D

If you want chestnut trees then the conkers are easy to sprout; just cover them up in a pile of leaf litter and leave them alone through Winter. By April you'll have shoots and roots at least 6" long coming from the nut. Great fun opening up the pile to see what's come :D

M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'll be going on a forage in the autumn. There's a sweet chestnut wood not too far away, although hoping my single tree might fruit :fc:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye, but see if you keep the elm seeds dry-ish, but not bone dry, so that the papery bit doesn't go mushy, and gently hap it up with sand or the like so that the frost can get at it, and they can't blow away, but not so deep that they're in the pitch dark, then they do sprout.
Best way to check is to have a quick feel of the pea in the middle. If it's empty or squishy, it won't grow. If it's firm, it's worth a try.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE