An enjoyable evening under the stars.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I’ve had a layman's interest in astronomy since first looking into the dark skies of my childhood.

This developed later into a basic recognition of the celestial bodies needed to navigate in emergencies and more recently I have started to include the night sky in my photography.

It therefore makes perfect sense for me to follow up this rough knowledge and study the subject in a little more depth.

As luck would have it I discovered a small band of enthusiastic astronomers with a well equipped observatory no more than ten miles from my home.

The Astronomy Centre near Todmorden is dedicated to the furtherance of Amateur Astronomy and welcomes visitors of all ages and abilities.

The evening I spent with the group members was cool and clear for the most part but I was greeted with warmth and good company. I was also very impressed with the advice and equipment available for use.

On arrival I soon spotted the opportunity for this shot.

Astronomy-Centre.jpg

I use a simple Astronomy App on my iPad to help predict the positions of objects in the night sky so I knew that the Milky Way would rise across the sky in roughly this position shifting westward as the night progressed.

This image is produced from some early test shots that I made while setting up. I was hoping for a slightly more diagonal position but sadly the sky clouded slightly over as the real darkness set in.

As you can see, there is some light pollution which is to be expected near to so many major conurbations but I was actually surprised how dark the sky here was with the site nestled between a ring of low hills.

I’m sure you will see much more from me at this location in the future.

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Yep, bumming good picture and some great skill to get all that on film. But also 'how many stars???'

My mind is boggled. Each of those is a sun (in broad sense). We see our one and assume the centre of the universe (or I do :) ) but on the 'big picture' we are so small.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My mind is boggled. Each of those is a sun (in broad sense). We see our one and assume the centre of the universe (or I do :) ) but on the 'big picture' we are so small.

You don't realise just how small we are or even our Sun is until you see something like this comparison image

Star-sizes.jpg

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Ok, my mind will not compute.

I suddenly feel like 'one, two, three, many' in my intellect. It cannot fathom that scale. World scale is bad enough, but universe scale is truly out there (pun intended:p ).
Then we can go the other way and drop the atoms, particles, etc.
We really are specs of dust in the grand scheme.

You don't realise just how small we are or even our Sun is until you see something like this comparison image

Star-sizes.jpg

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ok, my mind will not compute.

I suddenly feel like 'one, two, three, many' in my intellect. It cannot fathom that scale. World scale is bad enough, but universe scale is truly out there (pun intended:p ).
Then we can go the other way and drop the atoms, particles, etc.
We really are specs of dust in the grand scheme.

If that hurt your head, try this :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
It was taken at about 9:30. I was aiming for a 10:30 shot but it was just a bit too cloudy in the end.

Was just wondering if the clouds in the distance were lit by the sunset just as it had gone or ambient light from the cities.
At that time it could have been a little of both.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Love that Gary. I spent a pleasurable Clear weekend in the lakes with a wonderful carpet of stars last two days. Really must start packing a tripod and proper camera.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
There's an old observatory not far from there, closed down now, on the road from hebden bridge to oxenhope.
It was owned by Bradford University, for astronomical observations, as it was the area with the least light pollution.
Before that it was owned by the RAF, and used I think during WW2. Quite a remote spot.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pic Gary

I spotted the Milky Way during a break in the clouds over Loch Lomond on Saturday night, the best view I've ever had of it was up at the Lin of Dee a few years back with Pete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE