An Englishman, a Swedishman and a Scotsman Hired Some Canoes...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Olle ( Big Swede ) suggested the Vättlefjäll Nature Reserve as a place to meet up, as a good place for either a paddle or a walk. This area, on the outskirts of Gothenburg, was a bit of an eye opener for me. It’s a series of interconnected lakes, surrounded by beautiful birch and pine forest, with well maintained tracks for those who want to use them. For those who don’t, you wouldn’t have to wander too far off the path to be in what we in the UK would regard as pristine woodland. It saddened me to think what kind of state a place like this would be in if it was on the outskirts of one of the UK’s major cities.

Olle had phoned ahead asking about canoe hire, and there was some uncertainty as to whether they had any available, so we went equipped for a walk too. As it turned out, the hire centre had some spares, so we rented a couple of unprepossessing looking aluminium canoes, which came complete with trollies. It was a good job too, the canoes being much heavier than even my plastic Prospector, and the water was a few hundred metres away from the hire centre.

Our Route:

map.jpg

I’d never paddled an aluminium canoe before, and I imagined them to be cold, noisy and to paddle like a bathtub. While it was cold and noisy ( by some massive stroke of luck I found an old karrimat near the carpark, which I sliced up to use as kneeling pads ), after giving mine a quick spin around the bay near the put in, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled. It reminded me very much of my first canoe, a fibreglass Huron that weighed even more than these ally boats.
Olle and Richard doubled up in the second boat, as Olle hadn’t paddled in ages and it was only Richard’s second time in a canoe.

P9130043.jpg

P9130044.jpg

It was a lovely, bright morning, with a definite feel of autumn in the air as we set off with the breeze in our faces ( just a taste of things to come ). We paddled along the wooded eastern shore, cutting across the larger bays towards the first portage.

P9130049.jpg

This turned out to be a 200m up and down across an isthmus between Lakes Surtesjön and Gaddevatnet, with very civilised landing docks on either side.

P9130050.jpg

We quickly crossed the southern end of Lake Gaddevatnet and entered the engineered canals linking it to Lake Sten-tjärna,

P9130053.jpg

P9130053.jpg

P9130057.jpg

P9130061.jpg

P9130063.jpg

via two tranquil pools full of lily pads,

P9130060.jpg

P9130075.jpg

and the world’s shortest portage over a forest track.

P9130065.jpg

We turned north east and crossed the narrows between Lakes Sten-tjärna and Skyrsjön,

P9130067.jpg

and this is where the full force of the wind hit us. It had increased significantly while we were in the shelter of the canals and pools, and now we had to paddle into the teeth of it to reach the passage to Lake Kroksjön. There were times when I was paddling hard just to maintain my position, but Richard and Olle faired a little better as a tandem crew.

Another pleasant passage, blasted through the rock, took us to Lake Kroksjön.

P9130070.jpg

It was on here that Richard and me had our first taste of Swedish lake water, after being assured that it was pure enough to drink. I’m writing this 24 hours later with no signs of any ill effects. We hugged the western shore to try to get some shelter from the wind, and stopped at the shelter on a little peninsula at the top end of the lake. These shelters were brilliant, with fireplaces and adjustable cooking grills outside them. Set slightly further back was a woodshed, but this late in the season it was unfortunately empty. I couldn’t help but feel though, that in the UK these shelters would quickly end up as smoking pile of ash.

P9130073.jpg

I tried and failed to get a fire going with a few scraps of birchbark and my firesteel ( my excuse is that Swedish birchbark doesn’t seem as flammable as good old British birchbark, lack of preparation had nothing to do with it…), Richard saved the day with his lighter and the fire was soon blazing. Olle had brought a tiny daysac with him, which had Tardis-like qualities. He broke out his frying pan and kettle and got the coffee on the go, and then realised that he’d forgotten the pot grip for his frying pan. Not to be deterred, the smell of bacon was soon wafting around the peninsula.

P9130074.jpg

Olle also had an unsuccessful look around for some wild mushrooms, but this close to the city any that poke their heads above the leaf litter are soon picked. He did come back with some bilberries though, and gave me my first taste of lingon berry. It was a bit like a sour apple, and as Olle pointed out, they are usually made into some sort of preserve rather than eaten raw.

With full stomachs and the wind behind us we paddled to the southern end of the lake, passing another shelter on the way, my favourite of the trip, but I only stopped there briefly to alter the trim of my canoe.

P9130077.jpg

P9130078.jpg

We pottered around the southern part of the lake, where we were shown a plant with leaves that smelled a bit like sage when crushed in your hands, which could be used to make an insect repellent paste. If it could be proven to work against the Scottish midge it would be worth importing it and planting it along every lochshore.

We stopped for another brew on an island where there was another shelter. Coffee was soon brewing and Olle’s frying pan was out again, this time for sausages. My sandwiches and crisps seemed a poor comparison.

P9130087.jpg

P9130090.jpg

It was a lovely island, but spoiled somewhat by the amount of used toilet paper scattered around. I even found a piece of wet toilet paper moulded perfectly over a fungus, which I christened a turdstool.

That was our last stop, and we retraced our route back to the put in, this time with the wind mostly at our backs.

P9130100.jpg

There were more people on the lakes by now, although when we returned the canoes, the bloke who worked there said that a lot of people had returned early because of the wind.
A good time was had by all, and on our next day off we plan to return to the nature reserve, but have a walk around it instead. If anyone’s ever in the Gothenburg area I can wholeheartedly recommend a visit. There is free car parking near the hire centre, and here’s a link to it:

http://www.kanotpoolen.se/

Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's superb Michael, glad you've managed to get out and enjoy it.

I'm not sure any boat can be haevier than your Prospector though, remember Ullswater ? My arm has only just returned to its original length.

Look forward to the next one, you jammy git

Fantastic! So did you sleep out, or am I right in thinking it was just a day trip this time?
I go to Gothenburg every summer, but didn't know about this area as I always spend my time on the coast. So thanks for posting.
Glad you enjoyed it, and I'll try to check it out next summer.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
This brings back memories since I used to live in Goteborg and has spent a lot of time in this area. Despite all the trails and people that are in the area there are so much to discover. It used to be an old hut with stove and chimney in a forgotten place of Vattlefjall. The fishing is also excellent and if you see an old man there it might be the old finnish pastor and he knows exactly were the fish are and has a lot of good stories to tell about the wilderness.

Good to see the pics and that Olle is still doing the coffe the right way =)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
That's superb Michael, glad you've managed to get out and enjoy it.

I'm not sure any boat can be haevier than your Prospector though, remember Ullswater ? My arm has only just returned to its original length.

That was my lightweight Cronje Rich, and the reason that it was so heavy was all the extra kit I was carrying because I was with Li'l Cumbrian. As I recall though, it wasn't him that got wet...

P5030119.jpg

Look forward to the next one, you jammy git

Fantastic! So did you sleep out, or am I right in thinking it was just a day trip this time?
I go to Gothenburg every summer, but didn't know about this area as I always spend my time on the coast. So thanks for posting.
Glad you enjoyed it, and I'll try to check it out next summer.

Just a day trip this time David, my baggage allowance couldn't handle any camping kit. I'm nipping home for a weekend soon, and I'll be bringing my hammock and tarp back over though. Unfortunately, I think that the hire place closes for the winter in a couple of weeks, so the rest of my trips out will be on foot. That's a blessing in disguise though, as I've concentrated on paddling for the last couple of years, so it will be good to get back on my feet again.

Cheers, Michael.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Looks like a very nice area.
I envy the swedes their big, lowland lakes.

Tor

But I envy the Norwegians having Rjuken.
I know what you mean about the lakes though. I live in a great area of England for canoeing, but apart from a few places you only get to paddle on one lake in a day, unless you want to portage over a mountain pass.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks a cracking trip, cheers for sharing. Something ive always wanted to do, particularly for a few days, camping and fishing chucked in too.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Brilliant write-up Micheal, it was a lovely day. The area is exceptionally nice considering how close it is to the city.

And viking, we ought to do an outing soon. How are the woods around you now?

Here are a few snapshots from my end;
3922678896_99f4302ee5_o.jpg

Micheal and Richard in one of the narrow blasted channels.

3922662700_4cb8b6eeee_o.png

Another of them channels. I really liked those, especially cruising under the small bridges.

3922662384_ff935e6da5_o.png

This channel was pretty hard to find. The thing was that they are very straight, and very narrow, so finding them if you weren't looking from the right angle was quite hard. I got worried over my navigational skills a few times ;)

3922661750_5f0fe61205_o.png

Micheal on a windy part of the lakes. We had mostly clear skies, save for the first break, were it looked as if we would get an overcast.

Thanks Micheal and Richard for a nice day, and I'll try to find a nice unspoiled part for a walk.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
This brings back memories since I used to live in Goteborg and has spent a lot of time in this area. Despite all the trails and people that are in the area there are so much to discover. It used to be an old hut with stove and chimney in a forgotten place of Vattlefjall. The fishing is also excellent and if you see an old man there it might be the old finnish pastor and he knows exactly were the fish are and has a lot of good stories to tell about the wilderness.

Good to see the pics and that Olle is still doing the coffe the right way =)

He certainly made a good brew, but drew the line when I asked for a macchiato.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE