An Autumn Outing Southeast U.S.

I wanted to get out of the house a while and go check out the Autumn colors so I rode up to Davis pond to spend the day. It was relaxing just walking around and sitting by the pond for a while enjoying the serenity.

DSC_4172.jpg

DSC_4173.jpg

DSC_4175.jpg

Having not eaten Breakfast before I left...knowing I was going to eat pretty well later... it wasn't long till my stomach started growling. Time to gather firewood and get the food going. I used the Fiddleback machete to down the dead top of a small Maple. Man that was some hard wood and chopping at eye level is a pain.

DSC_4211.jpg

but the machete sure did a fine job of sectioning what I couldn't easily break.

DSC_4202.jpg

I wanted to check out the little TOPS kneck knife I've been carrying around in fire craft. It's a little knife called a Ferret. It has a 2 inch blade and a three inch handle. It is a three finger knife but handles pretty well, made some nice fuzzies.

DSC_4200.jpg

Didn't take long to get a nice fire going, and get the first part of the meal cooking.

DSC_4201.jpg

DSC_4204.jpg

DSC_4205.jpg

As the little Cornish hen cooked I walked around the immediate area checking out the Autumn colors.

DSC_4182.jpg

DSC_4184.jpg

DSC_4186.jpg

DSC_4180.jpg

DSC_4208.jpg

I found a nice appetizer.

DSC_4216.jpg

After an hour and a half or so the hen had been steaming a good while...

DSC_4213.jpg

...it was time to go put on the rest of the meal, some Uncle Ben's Rice in a pouch. Just heat it up good and simmer a bit and it's done. I like how the Eat n tool is stainless and I can stir hot foods in a pot sitting on coals without melting my tool scraping the bottom of the pan.

DSC_4215.jpg

Soon everything was done and time to eat.

DSC_4217.jpg

The little eat n tool made a good serving spoon.

DSC_4218.jpg

I threw a little more wood on the fire and enjoyed my meal in the great outdoors under an azure blue sky, listening to the leaves rustle in the breeze and falling to the forest floor, the birds calling around me, the crackle of the fire, and the occasional fish jumping in the pond.

DSC_4219.jpg

I definitely need to do this more often...pity Autumn comes but once a year.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
What a peacefull stunning place, food doesn't look bad either!
Thanks for posting.

All the best.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
There's no half measures with your outdoor lunches is there? It rivals the efforts of some of the Song of the Paddle members, who, having a canoe to carry the weight, cook up some true gastronomic delights in the outdoors.

Looks like you had a great day out, and the Autumn colours look fantastic. Your part of the world is a few weeks ahead of England ( in the seasonal sense ), we have to wait a few weeks for the full effect yet.

Has that machete got a scandi grind, or is it an optical illusion?

Al the best, Michael.

Thanks Simon, Michael, Drew glad you enjoyed the photos.

Oh...sometimes it's just a tin of smoked oysters lol, but yes I do like to cook. Grew up fishing and trapping commercially so I spent a lot of time cooking in the outdoors...as in three meals a day for weeks at a time. Now I miss it and have to revisit that when I can :)

I love Autumn, spent the morning down on the river taking sunrise shots of the gorge. Posted a couple of my favorites in the "What's your favorite view" thread.

Brian

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Great pictures again friend,good colours in the woods for you this time of year. I agree with Michael certainly no half measures with your meals,and that last picture you posted by the lake makes you want to go grab a Canoe and do some exploring.Thanks.
Darren

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Great pics, wonderful colours, great views, scrumptious food, using skills and a range of sharps, now thats a Bushcraft day out ;-)

Great pictures again friend,good colours in the woods for you this time of year. I agree with Michael certainly no half measures with your meals,and that last picture you posted by the lake makes you want to go grab a Canoe and do some exploring.Thanks.
Darren

Thanks Darren, I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. I love the Autumns here. I need to get a canoe or boat of some sort so I can visit the islands again.

Great pics, wonderful colours, great views, scrumptious food, using skills and a range of sharps, now thats a Bushcraft day out ;-)

Thank you, it was indeed a gret day out.

Great pics again Brian

Love the chicken in a pan, how was it ?

Thanks Rich. It was really good...could have used a bit of sage though, I'll have to keep that in mind for next time :)

Great post and pic's Mistwalker,that last one's a stunner, i love autumn's colours.

Thanks Andy, that last one is my desk top now :) . Autumn is definitely my favorite time of the year!

Lovely post Brian, stunning pictures mate, looks like Autumn is here over there.

Thanks Andy glad you enjoyed the photos, yep definitely here and won't last near long enough to suit me. Hoping for an over nighter soon, should get some good pics from that :)

Thanks everyone, I'm really glad you enjoyed the post!

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE