An Ancient Artifact

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

I decided it was time I had an ancient artifact. Making this will take a while, so expect a series of posts over time showing the various steps. Readers are welcome to try and guess what it is as things proceed.

First, I got two bits of brass...

NSD 01.jpg

The big bit is 12" square and 1.2mm thick, and the other is 12x8" and 0.25mm thick.

The smaller bit is put aside for now, and the larger bit is fixed onto some sacrificial MDF...

NSD 02.jpg

For those that aren't aware, this is known as the superglue and masking tape trick, known to wizened old luthiers from the days when there wasn't even any masking tape, never mind superglue. You put some strips of tape onto the two things to be bonded, add a bead of medium viscosity superglue along the middle of each strip and then press them together, making sure things are aligned as desired (a particular corner to corner in this case). The result is a bond that is incredibly strong in shear, but is relatively easy to break in tension. That means it can't move sideways, but can be pulled apart when you're done. Using masking tape means no residue to clean off, which is what would happen with conventional double-sided tape.

The same trick is used to hold another bit of MDF on the table of the bandsaw...

NSD 03.jpg

This bit, as you can see, has a dowel in the middle. There's a matching hole on the underside of the sacrificial piece holding the brass. When the latter is mounted onto the saw, the setup functions as a basic turntable. It looks like this...

NSD 04.jpg

The setup is such that the corner of the brass at the bottom left is the reference that's measured from to determine the position of the hole that's over the dowel. The distances are such that, when the brass and MDF sandwich is rotated and cut, I'll get a 10" diameter circle while maximising the amount of brass I get as a single piece in the offcuts.

Part-way through...

NSD 05.jpg

The blade in the saw is a fine-toothed one that's suitable for cutting non-ferrous metals as well as wood. Taking things slowly, it made a nice, clean cut...

NSD 06.jpg

...to end up with the 10" diameter bit, a small offcut from the aforementioned reference corner, and one large offcut. I'll be using bits of offcut to do a couple of experiments to refine techniques before trying them on the main piece, and hopefully have enough left over to have some handy brass sheet for stock.

More anon.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Mmmm. .. intriguing. At the moment I'm seeing a replica of the polished brass or was it copper mirror that was found in an archaeology dig quite a few years ago. But I guess I'd be wrong. We'll see as it progresses.

N

Nomad

I think I might need a stately home with an ornamental garden for it to be a sun dial.

Anyway, the next thing that's required is a lump of steel.

This bit that's about 2" in diameter with a smoothed end and the edge rounded over a little should do nicely...

Anvil 01.jpg

And sticking it down onto the now-surplus bit of sacrificial MDF will help to stop it moving around...

Anvil 02.jpg

If you have noticed the hammer to the right and concluded that this is an anvil, then you'd be correct. The lines will help to locate the position of the anvil when it's covered by the bit of brass.

I did a little experiment with an offcut last night. Something I want with this is for the outer edge to be a bit thinner than the rest of it. When I whacked the offcut for a while, especially when I moved inwards from the edge to make the transition in thickness more gradual, I found that the brass curled upwards a little, and this got me thinking. It occurred to me that a slightly domed shape would be better for what I have in mind (I hadn't considered this until then), and it's quite likely that this particular artifact would have been shaped by beating in any case.

Much whacking ensued...

NSD 07.jpg

Sure enough, as things progressed (from the outside inwards), it started to distort. It's not as bent as it looks in this photo - the reflection makes it look like is very curled over at the front. This side view gives a better idea of the shape...

NSD 08.jpg

I guess it hasn't curled up evenly because the amount of curl the hammering tries to impart is at odds with the internal tensions of the material. Turning it over and working the convex side gradually reduced the curling effect, to the extent that I could tune the shape towards the end by hammering in specific areas on whichever side gave me a bit that was curled down a bit too much.

I'm not looking for perfectly flat, but decently flat will be fine, and I'm happy with this...

NSD 09.jpg

It's slightly convex in the middle, which is what I want, and the bits of the edge that are raised only come up a couple of millimeters. I've still to work the edge a bit more to get it thinner, but that can wait until next time (about an hour of metal whacking is enough for one session, even with ear defenders on).

So, probably not a mirror, then...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll guess that this becomes some essential part of a drummer's band kit.
Will he give Zinjan a run for their money? He did say in #7 that he was "tuning" the shape.

N

Nomad

It's not an Antikythera mechanism.

Last night, I gave it a bit more whacking with the hammer to thin the edge down a little, and also did a bit more tuning on the overall area to get it lying a bit flatter all around the edge.

Tonight, I marked a series of lines around the edge...

NSD 10.jpg

At this juncture, the reader may be thinking, "Ah, 36 lines means markings at 10 degree intervals..."

After marking the lines, I centre-punched at each position and wiped off the marks...

NSD 11.jpg

...before drilling a hole at each position with a 2mm drill bit...

NSD 12.jpg

...and then deburring the holes...

NSD 13.jpg

That's it for now. There's a bit more to be done to this piece, and then I can turn my attention to the thin sheet.

N

Nomad

Just did a bit more work on the edge.

Take a piece of steel rod (9.5mm diameter, as it happens)...

Tool 01.jpg

Put it in the lathe and shape the end thus...

Tool 02.jpg

The thin tip is just under 2mm in diameter, and fits into the holes around the edge of the brass circle. The idea is to use this to dimple the brass around each hole. The brass is supported on a bit of softwood, and the tool is whacked a couple of times with a hammer at each hole. The effect is subtle, but does what I want. Hard to photograph clearly, but this shot with no flash should give the idea...

NSD 15.jpg

Quite noticeable around the right hand side where the light catches the indentations.

A close-up...

NSD 16.jpg

And one of the other side...

NSD 17.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE