An American Outdoorsman moving to the UK!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ReauxboCop

Nov 15, 2021
RAF Mildenhall
@TeeDee, "Eagle Scout is one of the ranks you can achieve in the BSA. It's the highest rank and will get you advanced rank when enlisting in the military (Eagle Scouts come in as an E3 rather than an E1) It also gives a slight edge on a civilian resume.
Thanks! You are certainly right. Most of the time in job interviews, they are more interested in that than my Bachelors or Masters degree!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
We will be in Suffolk. I am a civilian and my wife is military. I’m hoping to find employment near Lakenheath or Mildenhall.

I am very much looking forward to exploring the National Parks. Quite particularly, I am very excited to see Churchill’s war room!

Plenty of really superb museums etc around the UK, church is war rooms is superb, as is the battle of Britain’s control
Bunker in Uxbridge. Lots of great old history around forts and citadels and 2000 year old earthworks etc - look up national trust and English heritage when you get here - good place to start but there are lots of independent heritage organisations around as well

Thetford forest is quite good over your way and there are some lovely coastal walks over in that part of the world

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Ohh, I spent a few years in the RAF base as a kid growing up, lovely big houses, but the disused bungalows were full of mould in the middle of the base.

Make sure to pack plenty of suncream.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
We will be in Suffolk. I am a civilian and my wife is military. I’m hoping to find employment near Lakenheath or Mildenhall.

I am very much looking forward to exploring the National Parks. Quite particularly, I am very excited to see Churchill’s war room!
Bushcraft aside, your first day trip out needs to be a tour of the Adnams brewery in Southwold!

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Being in the lakenheath area, you’ll have Thetford forest on your door step, brings back memories my neighbours were from the USAF and now retired back to Colorado. I took them fishing and shooting pigeons n rabbits, many happy times!
when you get to the UK buy an ordinance survey map of your area, it will show you foot paths and right of ways here, 1:25,000 size is best for detail.
hope this is of some help.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What Damascus said ab
Being in the lakenheath area, you’ll have Thetford forest on your door step, brings back memories my neighbours were from the USAF and now retired back to Colorado. I took them fishing and shooting pigeons n rabbits, many happy times!
when you get to the UK buy an ordinance survey map of your area, it will show you foot paths and right of ways here, 1:25,000 size is best for detail.
hope this is of some help.
What Damascus said about the ordinance survey maps. They're very much like our topographical maps except they're more up to date than ours.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks! You are certainly right. Most of the time in job interviews, they are more interested in that than my Bachelors or Masters degree!
It makes sense when you think about it. The degrees show your expertise in the subject but the Eagle award shows you can work and cooperate as a team member, have leadership skills, organizational skills, and a sense of duty to the common good.

Reactions: C_Claycomb

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It makes sense when you think about it. The degrees show your expertise in the subject but the Eagle award shows you can work and cooperate as a team member, have leadership skills, organizational skills, and a sense of duty to the common good.

So without hijacking the thread too much what is required to qualify as an Eagle Scout? Is it similar to our Duke Of Edinburgh scheme?

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Welcome! If you find yourself in Sussex there’s not much I won’t do for Tony Chachere’s bold seasoning. ;)

Make sure you spend plenty of time traveling all over the country, there’s a lot of great countryside and history over here. Hope you enjoy your posting.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not sure whether Bing Maps will have the Ordnance Survey layer when accessed from outside the UK, but it is a good way of seeing the maps on-line if it is.
1:50,000
1637101653344.png
1:25,000
1637101709660.png
Not sure whether the military will be any help with you figuring out driving in the UK. After the Harry Dunn incident they might be. Anyway, you can find the UK highway code rules for the road on-line and it is very clear and well illustrated.
A few years back I did a US road trip and looked up the driving regulations for each state...it is much easier to get the information here.

Churchill's War Rooms are good, I took a friend who was over from the US to see them, as well as the Tower of London, the Houses of Parliament and Bletchley Park.

Chris

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
OS maps are the best in the world; and easily accessible online (Though the paper ones which are found in any garage or newsagent are in many ways more usable)

I see an interesting old house (No idea if open to the public) a market cross and an old dovecote.

Also a long distance footpath, a nature reserve and a museum.

The legend, `PH` is also worth looking for.

Reactions: santaman2000

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
OS maps are the best in the world; and easily accessible online (Though the paper ones which are found in any garage or newsagent are in many ways more usable)

I see an interesting old house (No idea if open to the public) a market cross and an old dovecote.

Also a long distance footpath, a nature reserve and a museum.

The legend, `PH` is also worth looking for.
And if you buy a paper map, you get the code to access the digital one! :)

ReauxboCop

Nov 15, 2021
RAF Mildenhall
Welcome! If you find yourself in Sussex there’s not much I won’t do for Tony Chachere’s bold seasoning. ;)

Make sure you spend plenty of time traveling all over the country, there’s a lot of great countryside and history over here. Hope you enjoy your posting.

I went to Louisiana State University for my undergrad, so I put Tony’s on everything! I’ll bring an extra bottle for ya!

0121nelly

Nov 14, 2021
Rubery, West Midlands
Hello all!

My wife and I are getting stationed in the UK (US Military) and will move shortly.
This will be my first time across the pond!
I am a Police Officer by trade and an Eagle Scout. I am primarily an ultralight backpacker but love anything outdoors.

I would love to make some connections and would greatly appreciate any suggestions for camping and hiking in the UK or Europe in general!
Hello to you and your partner
welcome to bcuk lots of advice on here and knowledge just be careful about where you set up camp as its not the same as the states. If you go to scotland you can set up camp and wild camp virtually anywhere its beautiful in the highlands but very rugged

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
I went to Louisiana State University for my undergrad, so I put Tony’s on everything! I’ll bring an extra bottle for ya!
I served with a Texan USCG Master Chief, dude sprinkled that on everything liberally. Wouldn’t eat lamb though. I can’t eat anything without Tony’s and Louisiana hot sauce now.

Still, cheaper than that guys alcohol addiction from spending time with the Royal Navy though!

Seriously though, if you’re in my neck of the woods, happy to show you round. Never met a US serviceman I didn’t like.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Never met a US serviceman I didn’t like

I'll second that sentiment.
There's some nice canoeing in the area if that's your thing; the little Ouse, Thet, the Stour are all very pleasant. Thetford forest as people have already said, though it is predominantly pine plantation and doesn't have a hugely wild feel to it (just my personal opinion). If you're interested in military history check out Orford Ness. They used to test nuclear weapons there (without the nuclear explosions) and I believe folk wildcamp on the shingle on occasion.

Reactions: Athos

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE