An amble through British flora.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have been hesitating to post this for some weeks. I want to get to know the plants of Britain better - particularly for their bushcraft properties. I sometimes get ambitious and this may not get far but the plan is to start with A and move through to Z. I have a feeling the journey could be long and I might get lost or sidetracked, but I am not sure I care. I would hope to actually find and test as many as I can.

As for where to start I need to get a grip on naming. Is it family, then genus, then species? Perhaps I should start with families in alphabetical order. Anyone able to give me some advice on how start out? I probably need some resources. Good web sites, books?

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
im up for learning the plants better, i will be following this thread with interest
leon

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Its a very rewarding project Rich, but can I ask why you are working A through to Z?

With my students on the 1 year wilderness living skills courses I get them to research 1 plant or tree a week (part of their homework). Students start off with plants and trees they already know and can 100% identify (nettles, dandylions, oak etc...) and do reasearch on their properties and uses. That keeps them quite busy for the first few months....then they move onto plants that they see all the time in our area of woodland but they dont know the names ... so they have to ID them first (teaching them how to use plant ID keys etc) then research them :) When the year is out, they have a nice little library of 52 plants and trees, that are common to the area they live, to be going on with and expand further in their own time.

:)
Ed

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Ed said:
Its a very rewarding project Rich, but can I ask why you are working A through to Z?
Ed
Good question. I think the answer is:-

I wanted to compare the common stuff with the less common

work out features across families

Look at what is really there, rather than what I notice

Get a grasp of the size of the project - know when I have done 1% etc

Look out for plants as I travel around out of my own area

I do think A-Z is a bit tame. Perhaps I need to get a specific text book and work through it, ticking off bits as I cover them.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
AHHHH I see where you are comming from.... it will be a massive project and probably take a lifetime... or 2 ;)

If you havn't had a look around before, check out the plant database at 'Plants for a Future'. A fantastic resource that many of us here at BCUK use.... its been mentioned a few times on the forum so you may know of it.
see here for more details ;)
http://www.pfaf.org/database/index.php

:)
Ed

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Rich

Not a subject I can be of any assistance with, other than the obvious.

However you might look at Culpepers Herbal Online www.bibliomania.com you may find this of interest and possibly amusing in some parts.

Many years ago I had a set of first aid memo cards about the same size as playing cards printed upon waterproof paper / plastic. These were much better than a book as the relevant card could be taken from the pack and used on its own no danger of the book trying to close etc. whilst I was following instructions. Just a suggestion if you were looking for a printing / publishing medium.

Or as an addition to the BCU mag?

You could also index these seasonally, when the plant is available.

Best regards and good luck with you project, Pothunter.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Those references are a great help. Thanks. So many ways to look at a plant - the herbalist, the bushcrafter, the archeologist... and the idea of creating a file hadn't occured to me.

xylaria

I started to write a database of useful plants, I got to nearly 400 entries. I couldn't make the database contain all the information I wanted so I started to write a book. I felt I couldn't do the subject justice so I have stopped for the moment, until I know more.
You are so right about the many ways to look at a plant. An archiologist will look the soil from a skeletons abdomen and say"we found yew seeds, it must ritual death". A bushcrafter will say "i can eat the red bits but only numptys eat the the seeds" . A herbalist will say " don't use that any more it too dangerous". A bio-prospector from $mith klindly welcome says " cure for cancer only £105 a jab rollup! rollup!". All from looking at the same plant.
The divisions question you posed earlier, in fungi it goes like this ;

Division (-mycota) says which part of the kingdom it is in, eg Amastigomycota makes non flagellate spores
Sub-division (-mycotina) visibly differant parts of a division, eg the difference between athlaletes foot and boletes.
Class (-mycetes) Most fungi books will only contain Homobasidiomycetes. i cant briefly explain the differences in class.
Order (-ales) Polypores,tricholomatales, entolomatales, boletales, etc are all orders. With basidiocytes they are normally ordered with an obvious feature such gill form or spore colour. This is good start point I think this is how I learnt to begin with.
Family( -aceae) can have simeraler names to the order. Leucopaxilloideae is a family in the order Tricholomatales. After a little practice (years) you can normally pick up a fungus a say which family it is in. this at least will get you to correct group of pages in a guide
Tribe Clitocybe and lepista are examples of tribe. this normally form the first name when giving a species name.
Species A distinct genetic indivual eg. Armillaria mellia and Armillaria tabescans are different mushrooms.

In plants I presume it yet more complicated by I have worked out from reading old herbals like culpeppers that species diffention is not as important in plants as it in fungi. they 200+ species or dandelion and they all make coffee.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi Rich....I have had an interest in plants for many years now, I tried to do the a-z thing and failed. I would advise on starting with the plants around your area, find one, take a few photo's of it, then get it identified, stick the photos up on here to start you off, then get a good field guide, I use Collins new generation guide, Wild flowers of Britain and Northern Europe, but I like other books with better photographs as well. Some of the field guides are colour coordinated, to make finding easier. There are some good websites on plants as well. I use these...
http://www.the-tree.org.uk/BritishTrees/TreeGallery/treegallery.htm
http://www.ukwildflowers.com/
http://www.floralimages.co.uk/
http://www.pfaf.org/

This one is interesting, you can put in all the details of the plant you find and it will identify it for you....The thing is, I have never found it to work....???
http://www.botanicalkeys.co.uk/

If you stick to one, or maybe two plants each walk you do, you will be able to concentrate on it better and learn more about it, by having more time to research. Its a huge subject and is taking me a long time, just to get to know my local plants, let alone all the medicinal and food benefits of them.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I can highly recommend the newly revised edition of "The Wild Flower Key" by Francis Rose. It is a key but is so easy to use.

It was recommended to me by a couple of friends who are doing courses in environmental land management and a degree in botany, both courses recommend this book.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hey, thanks guys. Amazon just got my custom for the plant identification book.

I have been setting up a collection of "favourites" in my web browser.

I note your advice on the project being too big. OK plan B. I started out on fungal identification this autumn and focused it round the question "Do I feel safe eating this fungus?" That rapidly taught me some basics - combination of a fairly simple guide, a good web site and discussions on this forum. I haven't eaten any yet, but I have some top candidates now.

So to get into the flora I probably need a probing question to launch myself on.

"Can I eat it?" Leads to "Can I confidently identify the family it is from?" and "Are there any dangerous ones in this group?" So that can be a good one.

other starters for 10 might be:-

"What is it useful for?" or "Is it British or naturalised?" or "What are its brothers and sisters in the plant family like?" or "Why is it successful?"

OK. tomorrow I will find a plant and start asking questions. Watch this space.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
rich59 said:

I note your advice on the project being too big. OK plan B. I started out on fungal identification this autumn and focused it round the question "Do I feel safe eating this fungus?" That rapidly taught me some basics - combination of a fairly simple guide, a good web site and discussions on this forum. I haven't eaten any yet, but I have some top candidates now.

So to get into the flora I probably need a probing question to launch myself on.

"Can I eat it?" Leads to "Can I confidently identify the family it is from?" and "Are there any dangerous ones in this group?" So that can be a good one.

"What is it useful for?" or "Is it British or naturalised?" or "What are its brothers and sisters in the plant family like?" or "Why is it successful?"

Get a plant up on here Rich and I will get you loads of info on it....Sure others will to, infact it will help us all won't it.....
Have a look at Food for free by Richard Maybe
A guide to wild plants by Michael Jordan
Wild food, by Rodger Phillips

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
rich59 said:

The principle question is "what is it?" ;) only from there can you move on to edibility, medicinal properties, bushcraft application etc.

It is that much more important to be sure of correct identification when you start to move into eating and herbal use as of the potential and real dangers.

Like Ed suggested I would start with a hit list of the top ten/twenty/fifty/ hundred common wild plants/ trees and really get to grips with these. from that you will learn a lot about learning if you get my drift. By setting out clear goals and objectives you have something to direct your efforts.

When I was at college we had to learn 20 new species a week and that was tough ;) Understanding botantical taxonomy and nomenclature is tough at first but key to a good understanding as they aid you when you understand what they mean (characteristics of plants etc) Like many things you will forget them unless you have a chance to refresh your memory and actually get to see them.

I would also say that giving serious thought to how you will organise, collate and record some form of database or records will be well worth it in the long run. Personally I use the computer and store stuff that way but it's a personal thing.

Try it out with one species and see just how you will get all the info together, how you can store images, records of measurements, web site references, books references, personal notes. Especially how you will find the one you want when you want it! :) In the end it is also important to know when something feels wrong and developing a good core of reliable reference material.

If you are serious then the book suggested by Adi Fiddler is well recommended and as a key, once you get your head around using a key, it will offer much greater accuracy in correct identification.

Finally, don't get too focussed down on individual plants but do remember to look around you and develop that instinct for landscape type and what you expect to grow there. There nearest analogy I can think of is the keen eye of the experienced fisherman who develops a subconscious rivercraft and can 'see' the fish even when they lie under the surface.

Ray Mears mentions it quite often, like when looking at a woodland in the distance, even individual trees and already having a good idea of what resources will be found. So learn the species but retain the link back to their context in the landscape too.

Reactions: Justin Time

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
And a great resource to start locally can be found here;

Natural History Museum - Postcode plants database

I really does help to know what sorts of plants to expect when you walk down the road and narrow down the possible options ;)

The results will then help you identify potentially useful plants and also whether they are protected or not etc. A lot have photos with them too. A really good starting point for local trips or even prepping for a trip away if you know the postcode ;)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The Natural History Museum web site looks a great resource. Thanks for that.

Now to business. The following is my first plant. I must point out that it was growing on my private property so I have not uprooted a wild plant.

PLANT1.JPG

I have included the whole plant to remind me that as much is below ground as above.

My limited knowledge at outset is that this is a wild strawberry - growing in the private lane behind my house. A look on the Natural History Museum website - interestingly doesn't list it. The first latin name I find associated with UK wild strawberry is "Fragaria Vesca". I will come back to this when I have looked up where Fragaria sits in the breakdown of plants and how to tell the individual species.

I know you can get nice edible red fruit, pretty little white flowers, and it works for me as an informal ground cover plant because it is evergeen, hardy, low growing and spreads about (by seed?). It may well be an ancestor of the cultivated strawberry. That is about the limit of my knowledge at this point.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Thanks Ketchup. No way is it the cultured strawberry.:) An important omission from the picture is the size. This is far too small to be that. Also the location is in the lane, not the garden. I have some "wild" cultured strawberries on my allotment and they are much bigger plants. Also I suspect an important distinguishing feature is the shape and size of the fruit - I can't show that this time of year.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
rich59 said:
The Natural History Museum web site looks a great resource. Thanks for that.
No problem.
Now to business. The following is my first plant. I must point out that it was growing on my private property so I have not uprooted a wild plant.
Whether a plant is on your land (or you have the landowners permission) or not it is still a 'wild plant' as defined by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 ;)

Under this Act, you, as the owner of the land, are an 'authorised person' which entitles you to uproot wild plants on your property (or on other land with the owners permission or you have a lawful right to be). But even as an authorised person you can not lawfully intentionally pick, uproot or destroy any wild plant included in Schedule 8 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

The is available online here (Schedule 8 is reviewed every five years and has been amended since the Act was passed so check for additional plants added more recently)

JNCC - Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

Part I, Section 13 covers wild plants.

I posted this elsewhere which may help further.

Just to clarify the laws relating to wild plant foraging. From English Nature;
Fungi and the Law

There are two main laws which may protect fungi (and wild plants):

The Theft Act 1968 which applies only in England and Wales
The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, and similar laws in Northern Ireland and Scotland

Under the Theft Act it is an offence

to dig up and take any plant, tree or shrub or any soil, peat, gravel etc which is part of the land, being the property of somebody. Digging up fungi could constitute theft unless you have permission.
to take the property of somebody and sell it for gain. the Act recognises the custom of taking wild fruit and flowers, including fungi, and permits such action so long as there is no personal financial gain. Collecting fungi for sale without the landowner's permission may be an offence.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981 it is an offence

to pick, uproot, destroy or sell, and/or collect and cut any plant listed on Schedule 8 of the Act (protected species) which includes some species of fungi
to uproot any wild plant, unless the person is authorised. As "plants" include fungi and lichens on Schedule 8, it is clear that fungi are treated as plants for the purpose of this Act. To pick fungi without uprooting them is probably legal, but see the Theft Act outline above.
Areas of land which are Sites of Special Scientific Interest and National Nature Reserves under the Act have special protection which will have been made known to the landowner or occupier. This may restrict the collection of fungi.

There may also be local Byelaws on Local Nature reserves, property belonging to the National Trust, Forestry Commission or Local Authorities, under which it is an offence to pick fungi and plants.

It is always worthwhile checking with landowners and managers whether these laws apply to their land and to ask their permission to enter their land, particularly if you want to collect fungi.
source: http://www.english-nature.org.uk/science/botany/plant9.htm

There is also, under common law in England & Wales, an established right to pick (but not uproot which would be theft) wild plants even if you do not have explicit permission from the land owner, but are lawfully on land. Details;
Note that it is not normally an offence to pick the 'Four Fs'; Fruit, Foliage, Fungi or Flowers - assuming that none of them are protected specifically - which are growing wild if they are for personal use and not for sale. This is not part of the Act but a part of common law. It covers such customs as blackberry-picking, taking ivy and holly at Christmas, mushroom-hunting and gathering sloes.

To exercise this right you must be somewhere you have a legal right to be - such as on a public footpath or in a public park. You cannot just go anywhere and pick the Four Fs. Obviously if enough people exercise this right at the same time and in the same place it could cause a lot of damage to habitats and species. In some places such as parks or commons local byelaws prevent such activities.
source: http://www.naturenet.net/law/wcagen.html#plants

Hope that clears up the legal side.
I have included the whole plant to remind me that as much is below ground as above.
Great to have a photo. Few comments (you may well have these covered! but I thought to note them here generally)

1. Scale. It is difficult to gauge size from the photo without something to give it scale. Ideally some form of measured scale in say centimetres would help a lot, or an item which is easily recognisable and gives scale.

2. Having a photo of the plant insitu as well as a detail helps a lot to give context and helps further ident. I tend to take one of the general location (i.e. trees around, land form, shade etc), one close up of the plant with surrounding plants and then close up shots.

3. Detail shots like you took of the plant (roots are useful but not always possible for reasons above), a leaf, a flower, fruit is available. Both sides of the leaf often helps. Also as the seasons change shots with and without leaves etc can be really helpful.

3. For close-ups a light coloured background can help to pick out details of the plant.

4. If you have good natural light then no flash is best to capture natural colours best but if no tripod or it's dark flash can provide a better photo exposure.

5. I would definitely consider investing in a tripod for photographing wild plants because it will provide sharper images. I have a light weight Velbon model which was not too expensive and packs down fine for a rucksack. Make sure it is capable of being set up close to the ground.
My limited knowledge at outset is that this is a wild strawberry - growing in the private lane behind my house. A look on the Natural History Museum website - interestingly doesn't list it. The first latin name I find associated with UK wild strawberry is "Fragaria Vesca". I will come back to this when I have looked up where Fragaria sits in the breakdown of plants and how to tell the individual species.
From the photo I would agree that it is the genus Fragaria sp. Without a better idea of scale it's a bit tough to be definitive but probably it is as you suggest Wild Strawberry (Fragaria vesca).

Bear in mind that, given it's proximity to dwellings and gardens, that often you find gardens varieties escaping into the wild and cross breeding. This info is useful to tell the difference;
In fruit can be told from escaped Garden Strawberry by the much smaller fruit which has seeds projecting from surface, not sunk in the flesh. Side leaflets mostly unstalked; distinctly stalked in Garden S. Sepals not conspicuous from above through gaps between petals, unlike Barren Strawberry, which also has totally different fruit. Leaves with appressed hairs beneath, Barren S has spreading hairs there.

Other features: End leaflet V-shaped at base (more rounded in Garden S). Spreads by long runners forming fresh plants where they touch the ground, as with Garden S.
source: http://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/rosaceae/fragaria-vesca.htm
I know you can get nice edible red fruit, pretty little white flowers, and it works for me as an informal ground cover plant because it is evergeen, hardy, low growing and spreads about (by seed?). It may well be an ancestor of the cultivated strawberry. That is about the limit of my knowledge at this point.
Fragaria vesca is a native plant and was the origin of the cultivated fruit seen today. It spreads primarily by vegetative propagation whereby the plant produces runners that move away from the plant and root, thus spreading in the typical fashion. They can spread further afield via birds and animals eating their fruit. In shaded locations they may not fruit and prefer a sunny bank to ripen the fruit.

In a strict botanical sense, the strawberry fruit is not a true fruit, but is termed a pseudocarp.

More info and uses of the plant can be found here;

PFAF - Fragaria vesca - L. Wild Strawberry

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I can see there can be a legal minefield in some situations.

Anyway - my wild strawberry seems to be unprotected and I am authorised to collect as the owner of the property. Phew.

I did genetics for a year at university so this and evolution interest me. Take my wild strawberry. If it is fragaria vesca then it will be diploid - having 2 pairs each of 7 chromosomes. The garden variety appears to be octaploid - 8 sets. Then there is the fact that it is self fertile. This means that inbreeding is the norm and most populations of wild strawberry are homozygous for most alleles. Then it is of interest also to note that within this family of plants there is a lot of potential hybridisation.

Moving to more practical issues:-

How does it protect itself from the damage of freezing? How does it stop being eaten by slugs and snails? What other plants and animals and fungi are associated with it? Does it have viral diseases?

I read you can make tea with its leaves and coffee with its roots. Any good? Anyone tried it? Anyone tried it in salads?

Like lots of wild plants there is a long list of illnesses that it might be good for. But is there any evidence? What chemicals are in it?

I hope to get a digital camera in the next couple of months, so life might get easier.

xylaria

This might of intrest to you, if you haven't found it already

http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/duke/plantdisp.xsql?taxon=422

I have used strawberry fruit on a childs sunburn. It have a good cooling effect but so could any mashed non citrus fruit I think. But i have never used the leaves for that perpose The leaves are a reasonable astringant but i prefer to use woundworts or comfrey(topically only!). I cant find any medical research on the use of the leaves on burns, only ethnobiogical. With cold water and Flamazine the treatment of choice who would want to spit leaves on a burn.

The tea from the leaves is used like raspberry to aid pregant women. You drink it a few weeks or so before deliverly. Considering your name is richard I dont this applies to you, but with medical science you never know. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE