an adverse experiance or a confirmation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Went on to the Ridgeway this weekend to scatter the ashes of an old friend. So got my kit together and his big green urn and off we went. I must add that dead people even those in jars are very heavy! Eventually we got to a place called Waylands Smithy. I slung my tarp in a quiet corner, settled down out of sight and mind. Then a couple of hours latter a group of 'travellers' turned up. Tents, beer, dope, and a large fire on the roots of a beach tree.

So each to his own thought I. So wandered over and said hi. They had no concept of what they were doing and as far as they were concerned they were having no impact on the site. They said 'we like to comune with nature' this from the chap with a tent, store tent, duvet, double air bed, cd player, stack of beers. I noticed they collected all of thier rubbish in bags and neatly kicked them under a hedge.

So as dawn rose i scatterd Pauls ashes in the morning dew and left. Being subjected to this made me realise that what we do is so right in so many ways. As Paul said life and death is a learning experince. So I guess its not an adverse experiance after all just a confirmation.

One thing for sure I am not going back on the ridge again in sunny weather! The people! :lmao:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I must say you're sounding a lot more calm about it that I would have been! Let's hope these travellers realise what they're actually doing - hopefully a chat with yourself will help with this.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I don't know the area you mentioned but I've just checked Falling Rains link below and it looks beautiful. I'm sorry you had to deal with this intrusion, but I believe that you are right when you say that we do so many things right, perhaps these wake up calls help to keep us on the right path.

I'd also like to give you some credit for the way you dealt with the situation, but perhaps this has also grown from what we try to be, totally unobtrusive and slowing down our pace.

Hope I have friends who'll take me out one last time when my time comes.

Pibs

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
sandsnakes said:
Went on to the Ridgeway this weekend to scatter the ashes of an old friend. So got my kit together and his big green urn and off we went. I must add that dead people even those in jars are very heavy! Eventually we got to a place called Waylands Smithy. I slung my tarp in a quiet corner, settled down out of sight and mind. Then a couple of hours latter a group of 'travellers' turned up. Tents, beer, dope, and a large fire on the roots of a beach tree.

So each to his own thought I. So wandered over and said hi. They had no concept of what they were doing and as far as they were concerned they were having no impact on the site. They said 'we like to comune with nature' this from the chap with a tent, store tent, duvet, double air bed, cd player, stack of beers. I noticed they collected all of thier rubbish in bags and neatly kicked them under a hedge.

So as dawn rose i scatterd Pauls ashes in the morning dew and left. Being subjected to this made me realise that what we do is so right in so many ways. As Paul said life and death is a learning experince. So I guess its not an adverse experiance after all just a confirmation.

One thing for sure I am not going back on the ridge again in sunny weather! The people! :lmao:

Sorry to hear about your excursion. I must say...you were much more pleasant than I might have been. I can't say for sure what I might have said until I was in your spot :eek: I go the the same spot here in the U.S. at least once a year by myself. Almost every time I'm there I spend 1/2 hour picking up beer bottles, caps, and the like. I myself sometimes will bring a few brews up for the night (cans of course) I just can't figure out why it is so hard for people to take out what they bring in :cussing: . The question is beyond me, and I'm sure won't go away any time soon. You seem to have a good positive frame of mind however. You will live much longer because of that :cool: Good for you!

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I have started another thread on this subject see 'walking our way, a thought'.

Thanks for your support guys to lose a friend of 30 years to 'lung failure' was a nasty surprise. We were going to do the Matterhorn when he got better. When my time comes I hope to end up on the same spot.

S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE