Amazing fish trap on Yukon men on discovery....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Snipped from wikipedia "...One single fish wheel near The Dalles pulled 418,000 pounds of salmon out of the river in 1906 alone, and it was just one of more than 75 fish wheels working the river that year....":Wow:

That's a whole lot of fish.

I remember seeing one of these on telly as a kid, I was absolutely amazed by it and spent ages trying to convince my granddad that he'd have much more luck fishing if he built one of those in the local pond :eek:

Thanks for the lovely memory.

Stuart.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
My Dad was in Nome a few years ago and is a keen angler. He said the Salmon was just running the river like a silver ribbon most shops had salmon tasting plates out and full. He had a laugh at a friend who had went on a bus trip to see the eagles, he went down the jetty and there were quite a few loafing about picking at salmon scraps.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
20130218-Weaving.jpg

And what about this beautifull example off of Frontier bushcraft article Jungle trip south east asia.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
A friend and I spent three weeks floating down a river in Alaska a few years ago. We caught hundreds of salmon, but released all but one small one. We mostly ate rainbows, char and grayling, because the salmon were too large for two people to finish. One day we came to a salmon trap manned by two Yupiks. We were appalled by how many they had on drying racks, and even more by how many dead ones they left floating around and rotting. Hundreds. We had dinner with them and they ate as much of our stuff as they could hold, but shared none of their stuff but Labrador tea. One of them got drunk and started ranting about how whites like us were catching all their fish. He also became very jealous about the quality of our rifles. We were going to camp there, but instead floated a few more miles downstream in the dark just in case he got any ideas. That was pretty much the end of my "noble savage" fantasy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE