Amazing Albino Stag

Hope this pic is genuine ...

2009.jpg

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hope this pic is genuine ...

I suspect a bit of photoshop touching up. Albino stags and bucks are not uncommon in some populations particularly deer parks where they are sometimes favoured. Knowle Park in Sevenoaks used to have about 20% whites but they would never appear pure white against snow.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Albino fallow are very rare. Pure whites are not so. From my understanding albino is a total lack of pigment which can bring health problems. Whites have white pigment.

It is probably a park fallow bred for white colouring. Lovely specimen with excellent antlers.

For a pretty concise book on fallow see:

Fallow Deer
Donald and Norma Chapman

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Albino fallow are very rare. Pure whites are not so. From my understanding albino is a total lack of pigment which can bring health problems. Whites have white pigment.

It is probably a park fallow bred for white colouring. Lovely specimen with excellent antlers.

For a pretty concise book on fallow see:

Fallow Deer
Donald and Norma Chapman

Nee chance. It's an albino. Check the eyes. Red eyes = no pigment to hide the blood circulating behind the iris..

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Some years ago here in Kansas, an albino deer was seen and videotaped. The Kansas Fish & Game Department, requested that no one shoot it in the upcoming deer season, but it disappeared and was never seen again after deer season. It appeared, as best as I could tell, from watching the video, to be a true albino.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Some years ago here in Kansas, an albino deer was seen and videotaped. The Kansas Fish & Game Department, requested that no one shoot it in the upcoming deer season, but it disappeared and was never seen again after deer season.

Sadly that's tantamount to signing it's execution warrant because there'd always be some hunter who would just have to shoot it

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I saw a wild red deer albino stag near Braemar some years ago. Scraggy looking beast but impressive nevertheless. There are quite a few legends about them in Scottish folklore and they are said to possess magical powers.

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
Apparently theres a new white stag down in my neck of the woods but i havent seen it :eek:( My wife saw the old one before it was killed tho

oh and my neck of the woods is the forest of dean :eek:p

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Strangely enough, I was up on the South Downs today in a wood on the edges of a slope while going off the beaten path a bit below the ridge and saw a herd of deer bolt about 50 yards away, which is always nice to see. At the end of the herd & a bit lower down was an all white deer that ran for a bit & then stopped looking at me about 80 yards away, before legging it. It was really a sort of dirty cream colour & I think it was a female Roe (it had no big antlers anayway), but my deer identification is not that great. Still it was a nice surprise and I seem to be seeing more than my fair share of albino animals this year, as there is a pair of white squirrels that live in a wood on the otherside of the bypass from me (see white squirrel thread). As it had been chucking it down with rain all day I left the camaera at home, so no photo I am afraid. Aint nature great?!!

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Dont know about the biology side of it, but I cant imagine there are not too many albino animals in a poplutaion as they are more prone to disease, predation etc.. from what I understand.

The deer I saw I am beinging to think may have been a stag, as it behaved in similar ways to single stags I have seen in the past when with a group of females. I only saw it for a few seconds, so it's hard to remember what sex it was. Sill, it's nice to think I saw one of England's famous white stags.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE