Amadou pouches.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I recently came across a large amount of Amadou,for those that dont know,Amadou is from a bracket fingus,horses hoof is another name or in posh lingo:Fomes fomentarius.
Preparing it from the raw fungi is a right pain but gets a great feeling of satisfaction to make something so usefull from
Once processed Amadou become like a soft suede/chamois,mostly bushcrafters know it for its ability to take a spark easily and thence make a fire,but it is also good for making stuff,the eastern Europeans have made items like bags and hats out of it for millennia and i guess our ancestors did too in fact Amadou was found in the fire kit carried by a well-preserved natural mummy of a man who lived around 3,300 BC found in the High Alps in 1991who became known to the world as the Otzi .
With this in mind i thought about making some kit from one of the larger pieces of Amadou,i decided a trad firekit pouch would be nice ,i had made many pouches out of leather before and so the same techniques were applied,mark out,cut and stitch,toggles were made from some elk antler i had in the shed.
Amadou pouch ( Fomes fomentarius) by fishfish_01, on Flickr
Amadou pouch ( Fomes fomentarius) by fishfish_01, on Flickr

I was surprised just how strong the stuff is for just a mushroom! all in all a great project and a pretty snazzy bit of kit to show off around the campfire!

thanks for looking.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's fantastic mate! I've made it plenty times abut never had enough or nice enough to try anything like that. They're soooo great!proper smart pouches them! :)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
How do you get such nice pieces to work with? I've made Amadou but the pieces I have made tend to break up, am I just pounding to hard? Do you use anything to give it a finish?

Lovely work BTW.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
So good I had to show the father in law and wifey! Wifey rarely shows interest in our side of things, but she was impressed!

I really like them too, how does it feel between the pinchers?

Although its a little sinister, I'd like to see a destruction test on one just to seehow tough it is!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE