Aluminium pot for use on fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
I've read somewhere on this forum that it's a bad idea to hang an aluminium pot over an open fire. Is that true? If yes: why?

I want to make myself a billycan since they're pretty damn hard to get around here in the Netherlands. I've been to several shops to get a good SS one, but to no avail. I might order a Zebra billy but that's pretty expensive for 23 euros, while I've just found a 1litre Al pot for just 1.20 euros.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I use a trangia kettle and just shove it in the edge of the fire on the embers and have had no problems not even with flames licking the side of it.I assume the kettle is made from the same type of aluminium as the pots.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have a look for stainless steel storage tins........the kind that hold tea, coffee and sugar.
They make excellent billies for a couple of pounds.

I don't know about all the scare stories about aluminium, certainly since the war they were widely used in homes for everyday cooking and there seems to be no 'proof' that they are implicated in any long term health issues.
I do know that if you let them boil dry on a fire though they will melt......burnt the backside out of a huge great cauldron dyebath not so long ago that way:(

atb,
Toddy

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
try 'The Dump' in rotterdam, may have a website.failing that I went to Blokker store and got some SS caddys (tea/ coffee/sugar tins) which worked for me

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Toddy, that's the problem :p I've been to pretty much every store that sells storage tins, but there isn't any good one. Most of them have 'seprate' bottoms, so that will leak. Others are just way too large or have a glass window on the side of it - not a good idea when cooking in it ;)

I did know about the dry cooking. I want to be able to hang the pot over a fire like on this site: http://extrasurvival.nl/materiaal_sub.php?id=1036

@ reddave, thanks for the heads up. Rotterdam is unfortunately on the other side of the country :p (I live near Hilversum). Oh, it's the same one in Amsterdam. I might have a look there. Any other suggestions, or should I just try it with my current Al pot?

I've been to Hema, Blokker, Xenos, Praxis - hell, you never know :p and some local household stores :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's annoying, they're being sold for £5 for three over here, and the biscuit barrel type are coming in at £4 each but they make a 2.5l billie.

Heaven knows how much they'd cost to post or we'd happily send you a set.

How about army surplus stores ?

cheers,
Toddy

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
That's annoying, they're being sold for £5 for three over here, and the biscuit barrel type are coming in at £4 each but they make a 2.5l billie.

Heaven knows how much they'd cost to post or we'd happily send you a set.

How about army surplus stores ?

cheers,
Toddy
Shipping will probably cost more than the bin itself :p

Yeah I'm going to some surplus stores, but I've been to quite a few in my life and never seen them.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Tried IKEA?

http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/search/?query=roestvrij+staal&category=all

Hmm, after having a quick look nothing jumps out. There is http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/00113648 though odd shape, and non metallic lid.

Oh yea, forgot to mention Ikea :p Already been there: nothing worth buying. Well, maybe the 'spark guard thingy' but there are too many holes in that thing imo so I'm gonna make one myself.

By the way: It's very nice that you're all trying to help me find a SS pot, but that wasn't my original question :p

Why is SS so much better than Al?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have been using the same ali Bulldog billy cans over open fires since I was a Scout. They still get a regular outing and are still going strong.

As long as you don't let them boil dry they are fine.

Simon

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
It lasts longer, is less prone to melting, and i easier to clean :)

... but it's a LOT heavier ;) My current one is about 155g, while the zebra is 550 or something like that (ok: it does have an extra frying pan which mine doesn't have).

@ SimonM,
And that bulldog billy is made from Al?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
And you didn't have a stroke or something similar so far? ;)

Hehe just kidding. I'll just give it a shot. I'll post some pics when the set is ready :)

Like Simon said

ebay item

I've yet to melt one of mine after 40 years of use.

You don't have to use Zebra pots or make your own from biscuit barrels etc, just buy this set and your up and running

There is to my knowledge no clinical based research linking Aluminium with mental health issues

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Like Simon said

ebay item

I've yet to melt one of mine after 40 years of use.

You don't have to use Zebra pots or make your own from biscuit barrels etc, just buy this set and your up and running

There is to my knowledge no clinical based research linking Aluminium with mental health issues

I've seen those and they look fine indeed.
I like making my own stuff so I'll just try this one out. I can always buy another one if this one doest work properly :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My pots are ali and I have no trouble with them.

however they dont polish up to a shine like Stainless steel ones do.

But that is not a problem with me

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
however they dont polish up to a shine like Stainless steel ones do.

But that is not a problem with me

Neither do I. The one I have now is a second hand sugar tin. It's all battered up and has lots of dents but that just gives it more character imo :p

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
HI Goliath,

I've been using a trangia set the last few weekends out, have put the kettle, as well as the aluminium pans straight on the fire without any problems. At home you can easily clean the sooth off with wire wool.

Trangia does some ready made billies as well, not to expensive...

http://www.trangia.se/english/2930.camping+scouting_sets.html

I have a set of the extra-survival billy's they are great for cooking over a fire but a bit hard to eat from as they are pretty deep compared to their width.

Anyway as to you original question, I haven't had any problems sticking a aluminium pot on to a fire, but if you want to make sure, buy the pot for € 1,20 and put in on a fire to try it out.

Quite welcome to come around to oudenbosch one day to use the firepit in my garden if you like.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE