Aluminium Metal pan colour change

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I thought it is along the lines of kit chatter.

When playing with afew of my new cook sets today I noticed that the aluminiun pans inner surface changed colour from shiney silver to a dull brown. the area of discolouration matches where the heat of the stove was on the outer surface. when I washed the soot off from using the meths burner the outer surface was shiney but the inner surface stayed the dull brown even after vigorus scrubbing.

I can't say I have ever noticed this before on stainless steel pans.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but is this normal for aluminium? and Why is it doing it?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Johnathan is correct if you heat steel then you get a colour change to the steel however your pots are aluminium which isn't steel....

If the Pans / pots are just plain old aluminium it's totally normal.

If you use something like wire wool or one of those soap filled steel wool pads with a bit of elbow grease it comes off.

I tend to find if the water you are boiling has stuff in it: tannin, lime etc then the discolouration is worse. I think the action of boiling water in the pan causes a reaction between aluminium which is relativley porous and whatever salt or alkaline is present in the water...

If you want to avoid it I guess you could use hard anodised aluminium pots or Stainless steel. I'd personally just crack on and keep using the aluminium pots...

HTH

John

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If you boil some water with bicarbonate of soda or baking powder in them they'll come up like new.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE