Aluminium Fuel Bottle For Water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Never had a problem with better quality ones. The cheapos from Asda have chocolate rubber seals which melt when they come into contact with solvents (including some nasty orange squash, but thats another story).

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
As has beenn commented on, the rubber seals perish if not fuel rated causing leaks.

IMHO, stick with a dedicated fuel bottle - safer, clearly marked etc.

Simon

Luck of the draw mate, I've had fairly expensive ones not work with various fuel types
eg meths, paraffin, coleman fuel. i bought some cheap ones from a pound shop that worked well. So if you find one really cheap might be worth a go. Try putting your fuel of choice in it ( small ammount) and lie it on its side/inverted somewhere a leak wont matter to test it.For a week or two then examine the state of the seal.
Just dont use it somewhere mission critical straight off. All the above stink and can damage all kinds of other gear if they come in contact with it in your pack or wherever! Don't taste too good in your rations either!
You can sometimes cut cost by using a cheap bottle and discarding the top (especially if its a sports type) and replace with a proper spare top from a sigg or similar as they sell them separate sometimes and they come with their own seal. You can try and see if the thread is compatible as many are straight rip offs if a mate has a sigg (or the shop sells both)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
..... You can try and see if the thread is compatible as many are straight rip offs if a mate has a sigg (or the shop sells both)

This would be my major concern,
when searching for a fuel bottle to use with a MSR Whisperlite stove, the threads were slightly different between dedicated fuel (Sigg) and the cheaper drinking (Gelert) type bottles - enough difference that I didn't want to risk damaging the pump threads by forcing it.

Your title seems to suggest that you are looking to carry water in a fuel bottle.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Last edited:

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Agreed as above really, test the seals well over a week or so before use.

Other than that, I find the lining of the bottles somewhat suspect and have had a couple delaminate!

Also, obviously they can't be used for the stove pressure bottles...:angel:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have a few of these and was wondering if they are safe to carry fuel (petrol) in.

http://www.gelert.com/Products/750ml_Aluminium_Rubber_Finish_Bottle.aspx

Obviously I have seen the proper fuel bottles which look much the same but money is extremely tight so would prefer to not buy a new bottle. What are peoples thoughts?

The bottle is fine to carry fuel in but I would be concerned at the quality of the seal (as mentioned by others) and certainly would not pressurise the bottle with a fuel pump. Get a good quality bottle designed for the job such as those made by Primus. They come in different sizes and shop around for the best price, these will last years.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRIMUS-LIQUID...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL?hash=item518f216a73

The gelert ones are fine for water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE