Altoids Waterproof Tinder Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I felt like making a "worst case scenario" fire lighting kit. This was not intended to be traditional or even very elegant. It was intended to be a means of lighting fire quickly even if you're soaked to the skin. It contains a lighter, swedish firesteel and vaseline cotton inside crimped and melted drinking straws. These can either be lit directly by the lighter or sliced open and lit off the firesteel.

I tested it earlier by lobbing a few of these straws into a sink full of water for a few minutes, then slicing one open and lighting it off the firesteel. 3 of the larger straws produced a hot, windproof flame that lasted about 2 minutes.

Maybe not pretty, but I reckon if Castaway or The Edge had featured one of these kits, they'd have been much shorter movies that contained much less hardship ;)

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
I wonder if I could persuade a local Barista to give me a few of the "wide bore" straws they use for iced drinks. I bet they'd hold a fair amount.

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE