Alternatives to a DSLR, what do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hey Tomas, I use a mirrorless Sony but more and more I'm using my iphone, sometimes the pictures aren't as good and it definitely doesn't have the range of the bigger camera lense but the convenience means I get a lot more pictures that I'd miss. If i'm doing something specific I'll use the Sony. If your DSLR is too big, look at the mirrorless ones, they're fantastic....

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Huawei phone, one of the reasons I bought it was the Leica lenses. The Chinese can spy on my Instagram channel all they want, as long as they damn well like my photos. :D

Battery life is outstanding also.

Reactions: Fadcode

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have the choice of a Canon DSLR, Sony RX100 Mk1 and an iPhone6 . The DSLR is too big and heavy to cart around unless I am out specifically to take photos, which is rare. I don't have lots of lenses, just a fast 50mm and a 24-100 that came with the camera. I used to have an iPhone 5 and the pictures were not really quite good enough, but those off the 6 are really quite impressive.

For most of my landscape work, I use the RX100 and it is a gem of a camera. No zoom to speak of, but takes good low light shots for its size, and the end results are good enough to print to hang on a wall. I was recommended this camera by a friend who said all his mates who were serious about their DSLRs had one which they used whenever they didn't want to haul their big camera around.

I got my DSLR as a hand-me-down, but if I had money to burn I would be looking at the Sony mirrorless. I have enjoyed watching Aaron Snyder discuss his camera gear. Worth a look, just stick "aron snyder photography gear" into Google and you will get hits on a number of his videos.

By the way, I have changed the thread title since "Old School Bushcraft Style" doesn't really match what we are talking about here. ;)

Chris

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If I'm 'doing photography', especially wildlife, I'll be using my DSLR. However, having just spent the weekend canoeing, and realized I'd only taken a few photos because the camera was packed away in a Aquapac bag, I've decided I want a 'cheaper' waterproof camera that can be to hand all the time.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Reactions: Ruud

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
The camera on my phone (motoG) is not that much good to be honest, quick snaps at best. Proper camera is a Sony next 5n. I do need some more lenses if I want to do more with it

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If I'm 'doing photography', especially wildlife, I'll be using my DSLR. However, having just spent the weekend canoeing, and realized I'd only taken a few photos because the camera was packed away in a Aquapac bag, I've decided I want a 'cheaper' waterproof camera that can be to hand all the time.

Not a camera, but I used a Lifeproof Nuud case for an iphone 5 and it survived complete submersion multiple times, although it was only 30-50cm down. Was good for photos and navigation while in and around water.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Depends what I'm doing might be my iPhone 7, Lumix GX8, Canon EOS 5dMkIV or a film camera ranging from an EOS1vHS or OM2 slr through medium format to 4x5 inch film MPP.

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I use a Sony A6000. The only thing with it is is the range of lenses is limited and expensive. Any decent lens is big too so it makes the size difference between it and a DSLR less noticable. You can stick to the kit zoom lens for portability but then most of the time my phone takes pictures just as well as the kit lens. The phone is limited in what it can do though and it struggles as soon as the light isn't ideal. Phone photos are also basically fake with in-phone processing basically designed to make your pics look better for scoial media.

It really depends what you want the camera for. There are no decent affordable wildlife lenses for the Sony but you can get adapters, if you have the budget, and use Canon lenses or whatever your current camera is

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA

My wife and I spend a lot of time on the water from early spring through late fall in our kayaks. Over the years we have both used Olympus' line of point and shoot waterproof cameras with very good results. We currently have the following from their line: TG-850, TG-870 and the TG-5. My favorite is the TG-5, which has very capable photography and macro features.

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Olympus OM-1, Tri-X Pan, F-8 and be there. Otherwise, get off my lawn.

Digital? Here's my middle digital. How's that? But being this is a.44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you’ve gotta ask yourself a question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well, do ya, punk? Hellllo Nurse!

...Um, hello? Mr Scobis has to take his meds now. Perhaps you can speak with him tomorrow when he's more himself. Sunset, and all. You can find him in the dayroom. He is the fellow wearing onions in his belt...

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I'm often tempted to buy a DSLR but...well...I'm just not that into tech. I don't have a head for it, nor an interest.
I just can't be bothered to learn all that stuff about exposure times, focal lengths, and all that. My brain is not wired up that way.

I use two cameras, depending on what I want to do.
If I'm going out to take pictures I use a bridge camera - a Panasonic Lumix FZ82.
If I'm going out for a walk and think I may need a camera then I want something small and portable that can go in a pouch on my belt - a compact. So I also have a Panasonic Lumix TZ60.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I bought a second hand RX100 3 last year and it's lovely, I'd like the VA but there's no way I can afford it. Lovely camera, it's even made me think about selling my Sony A6000...

But, I still take a lot more photo's on the iPhone than the cameras....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE