Alternative woods for tool handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
my roselli axe has birk handle, some swedish knive's have elm handle's, it depends how fussy you are. What purpose have you in mind for your tools (what tool's are they?) ash and hickory are hard to beat for durability generations of craftsmen cant all be wrong thats what has generally been used for hammer and axe handles. But if its for something with less stress I'd say pretty much any thing. Oak tends to splinter, ash self polishes with use. They used box wood for fine chisle's and screw driver's, beech is ok as well but I wouldnt use it on a long handle that has to take a battering

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Depends where in the world you are and what trees are indiginous.
In North America ,they use hickory,which is very similar to Ash,further south,Maple and Lemonwood is used.For axe handles the wood has to have 'spring' in it.Beech is used for 'holding' and not swinging handles as it fractures on heavy impact.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I have a cocobolo axe handle, unfortunately previous owner put nails in the eye presumably to help hold the axe head on, so ruined it for that purpose.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I'm thinking more of an axe handle type usage.

I found a reference to wood from a gorse bush being used in hammer handles, could this be true anyone ?

I'm fixing up a crappy cheap axe by reshaping the head but it'l need a new haft, I was just looking at choice I had.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE