Alternative to GB Scandinavian Forest Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
A friend was going to be given a GB Scandinavian Forest Axe for his birthday pressie from his other half but apparently she can't get it any more.

She is asking what would be a suitable alternative? Any Ideas?

Cheers
Grebby

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Have at look at the Wetterlings and/or Hultafors ranges for an equivalent ?

Or reconsider on the size of the axe, depending on what work it will be put to, as the scandinavian is a reasonably large axe for bigger tasks, which may be what's wanted but may be more than is needed ?

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Thank you.
I have a Small Forrest Axe and another mate has the Double Bit Axe and he has tried both of those. Mainly used on my dad's farm taking out and processing trees down the brookside. Defiantly not "needed" but neither are most things in life:eek: Sometimes the chainsaw just isn't as much fun.
I'll pass on the recommendations.

Cheers
Grebby

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I bought the Wetterlings version of the GB you mention from the Bushcraft Store and it is superb. It has a slightly thicker profile and is better for splitting while still extremely sharp....its length is from hand to armpit.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
My local dealer said GB are putting their prices up 20% this year as supply is outstripping demand. A good alternative to the Scandi or Wilderness is the Council Tools Hudson Bay Velvicut. It's a beautiful axe with great cutting power.

Suwarrow

Jul 7, 2016
London
Have a look at the Snow and Nealley Hudson Bay axe.

It's a name with a huge amount of heritage in the US. The company itself has been through a few ups and downs but I believe it's now owned by an Amish man. The fact that there's no Snow and Neally website might be linked to this last fact (I read somewhere that they operate with a fax and phone).

I bought one a few months back and I'm really pleased. Came blunt but takes a really good edge. Beautiful looking to my eyes. It has great balance and the shaft allows you to comfortably cinch up to the head for finer work (within the limitations of its size) whilst a bit of flair at the end ensures you won't loose your grip when really swinging it.

I wanted something different from the Gransfors that everyone else seems to go for and the fact that the Snow and Nealley had a bit of heritage, an interesting back story, looks great and most importantly works well sold it to me.

I believe Ray Mears is selling the Forest Axe for around £85
https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_...s-Bruks-Small-Forest-Axe-with-Gransfors-Logo/

Whilst the Snow and Nealley can be had for £70
http://husky.uk.com/snow-and-nealley-hudson-bay-axe

Just my personal opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Thanks everyone :)

I've done a bit more digging about what he wants to do with it and made some suggestions.

I'd also just noticed that nordic outdoor have the scandi as in stock so passed that on as well.

Dec 20, 2016
Surrey
Huskvarna forest axe (sometimes called a multi purpose axe) can be picked up for 40 Inc delivery 🚚

Similar length. Thin bit, good steel. (made by hults bruk)

They are very good value for what they are. However there isn't much love given to the grinding / profile and may take some cleanup

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
I Just really prefer the Scandinavian Forest axe. Light, fast swing,no mods needed on handle or Head.
It cuts really good, so the profile for me is perfect.

I see a rise in price an a lot of swedish tool and knife brands.....just a rigid fact....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE