Alpkit Pipedream 250

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Just wondered if anyone had one and what they thought of them? Im pretty much ready to press the buy button after looking around for a while for a new bag. For the weight and price it looks like a good buy. I am still open to suggestions but the Alpkit bag is at the top end of my budget at £130. I am wanting one as light as possible for around that price and at 650g it seems a bargain.

Thoughts guys.......:)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I havn't seen a reviews yet, although Pipedreams have always had a great rep. I understand that the 250 is really pared down, and its does only go down to about 1 degree. Best thing is to email Alpkit, and outline your requirements - if they dont think its suitable, then they will probably tell you. I suspect the 400 might be more flexible, and although £40 more, is a great price for the spec - your not going to find anything else at that price.

Alpkits customer service is great (OK - they sent me some goodies after I made a suggestion, so I'm biased), and they are pretty straight, but If I was looking at something to use in Spring or Autumn, then its wouldn't be the 250.

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Cheers Old Bones, I'm not looking at winter camping so didn't really think i would need to go so low down in the temp range, so thought the 250 would be suitable. I'm liking the look of the 400 but don't know if I can get away with spending that much without SWMBO noticing! I do realize that the more you pay the better you will get but for the sake of a 2.5c difference in temp rating would it really make that much difference? I'm just asking as I don't really know. or am I best seeing what I have to sell to raise the extra £40?

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
It's a shame the new PD range are a sewn through design. My PD400 and 600 have baffles to eliminate cold spots.

It's a long shot but I'd try to source one of the original PD400 second hand. They are quite a snug fit though.

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
I have heard a lot of good things said about the original PD400 that why I was looking at that range.
A quilt is something I haven't thought of, I don't know if I like the thought of not being cocooned up like you are with a bag especially with the draught from the bottom of your not tucked in, thanks for the suggestion though.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have on a few occasions used my top under quilt as a sleeping bag and it's brilliant. No wasted compressed fabric under you. I use mine with the Alpkit wide boy mat so I don't roll off it. Also never had a problem with being uncovered.
I did consider asking for a top quilt making with loops either side spaced at intervals so I could attach light shock cord to keep it cinched together.

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
I have one of the recent PD400:

pros:

- size
- weight
- relatively warm (given my location in the alps, I hardly sleep below 1100m altitude, and even now in summer we have 8 degC and below during the night)

cons:

- there is no shoulder baffle (assuming that this is the right term); when you turn around, you do notice the warm air being pushed out
- it's a sewn-through design. but then I have to admit that I didn't feel explicit cold spots.

I've added a silk liner (my seamstress will add a zipper to it). The liner (vs the bag) is meant to soak up any dirt/sweat/... and thus prolong both its lifetime as well as the number of times i need to get it cleaned (the liner i can throw into my own washing machine). But it also adds warmth; notably so for its fist-size when packed.

Finally, I put everything into the Snugpak SF bivi bag.

So far, temperatures of around 7 degC, with decent winds, in the open, where cosy warm for the entire night using the combination of pd400+silk liner+bivi wearing boxershorts only.

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
I have one of the recent PD400:

pros:

- size
- weight
- relatively warm (given my location in the alps, I hardly sleep below 1100m altitude, and even now in summer we have 8 degC and below during the night)

cons:

- there is no shoulder baffle (assuming that this is the right term); when you turn around, you do notice the warm air being pushed out
- it's a sewn-through design. but then I have to admit that I didn't feel explicit cold spots.

I've added a silk liner (my seamstress will add a zipper to it). The liner (vs the bag) is meant to soak up any dirt/sweat/... and thus prolong both its lifetime as well as the number of times i need to get it cleaned (the liner i can throw into my own washing machine). But it also adds warmth; notably so for its fist-size when packed.

Finally, I put everything into the Snugpak SF bivi bag.

So far, temperatures of around 7 degC, with decent winds, in the open, where cosy warm for the entire night using the combination of pd400+silk liner+bivi wearing boxershorts only.

Thankyou Fenrir, that's just the kind of info I was looking for, I've started to look more towards the PD400 now as opposed to the 250 as I think it will be better in the long run, it may have to wait till next payday now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE