ALPKIT GAMMA Headtorch review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Just bought the new Gamma headtorch from Alpkit and thought I'd do a quick review. 1st the bumf from the site

header_gamma.jpg

Lighting modes

The Gamma Headtorch functions from a single multi operation button (SMOB). This orange SMOB gives access to two lighting modes each with multiple settings:
1W LED Mode

This is the large central LED, it provides the brightest light. When in this mode the button toggles between 4 settings; High > Low > Strobe > Off.
5mm LED Mode

This mode toggles between the three 5mm LEDs and has 5 settings; White LED > Green LED > Red LED > Red LED (Strobe) > Off.
Bonus Backlight LED

In addition to the two modes of the head unit we have given you a bonus. The battery pack is fitted with a red LED light, this light has 3 settings; On > Strobe > Off. A button on the side of the battery compartment cycles between these settings and operates independently from the button on the head unit.
Operation

Turn the torch on:
Press the orange button once. The Gamma torch will illuminate your world in the mode it was last used (either in 1W LED or 5mm LED mode).

Cycle through the settings of a mode:
Press the switch again to step through each setting of the currently selected mode.

Toggle between modes:
To change modes turn Gamma on and then press and hold the button for 3 seconds.
The head unit

The head unit contains three 5mm LEDs and one 1W Luxeon LED. The unit pivots so that you can direct your light during use. The orange button on top of the unit toggles between the torch's modes and functions. This part of the torch cannot be opened and the bulbs are not replaceable.

The battery compartment

The battery compartment takes three 1.5V AAA batteries. The compartment is opened by holding the unit in your left hand and firmly twisting the cap on the righthand side of the compartment. An orange button on the left side of the battery compartment toggles between the functions of the backlight.
Adjustable headstrap

The elasticated headstrap can be adjusted for different sized heads, wearing over a monster wooly hat or climbing helmet. The straps can also be removed or replaced by sliding the elastic through the small slots in the plastic housings.

* Gamma

Alpkit products are available exclusively from Alpkit.com

Showcase | Reviews | Gallery
Features at a glance

* Two modes - 1W LED or 5mm LEDs.
* Instant off - from any mode.
* Orange button - single multi operation button.
* Green and Red LEDs - for night vision.
* Pivotable head unit - give your neck a rest.
* Emergency strobe mode - attract attention.
* Adjustable elastic headband - because we all have different sized heads.
* Water resistant - that doesn't mean waterproof to 10m!
* Batteries included - and they are Duracell.
* Red light - on battery pack with strobe mode.

Specification

* 1 x 1W Luxeon LED (up to 51 lumens)
* 3 x 5mm LED's Red, White, Green (1.8 lumens)
* Weight: 118g with batteries
* Batteries: 3 x 1.5V AAA included

Battery life

* 1W LED mode: 10hrs HIGH
* 1W LED mode: 20hrs LOW
* 1W LED mode: 25hrs STROBE
* 5mm LED mode: 80hrs
* Red strobe light: 160hrs

Basically all of the above is true, The Gamma sits comfortably on the head and the small battery box at the back is unobtrusive and not nearly as heavy as the Petzl ones. The light seems well made and robust, and the switch is simple to operate. The head cradle is fully adjustable and comes in 3 different funky patterns. They are £12.50 a pop and if you buy 5 or more you get them for £10 !! Half the price of a TIKKA!
I for one am very pleased

D

preview_gamma.jpg

pi_16345.jpeg

www.alpkit.com

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Ordered one of these on Sunday, arrived today. For £12.50 it's a bargain.

Light level is very good even the coloured LEDs are nice and bright, not tried it outside yet but expect it to perform well and given the price I'm tempted to get another as a spare.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I noticed them too Dave. At that price I would happily have one as a spare for an emergency kit.

How's the light level?

As Andy said the LED levels are really good for the small white, green and red, and in the woods the big LED in the centre is fantastically bright and even quite adequate on half power. A good all rounder In my opinion, and you can't go wrong for the price. I bought one cause I wanted a headtorch with a red LED for night reading maps etc so as not to lose my night vision, but it's better than I expected:cool:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The problem is though Dave, Alpkit have too many things I'm tempted to buy!

I know !! and it's all good stuff. I have to go onto the site like using a portaloo at a festival. Hold your breath, close your eyes, in and out as fast as you can LOL:lmao:

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Used mine for the first time in Great Langdale last weekend - so impressed - at twice the price I would have been impressed and it comes with batteries!!!

The Fat Airic is a monster too!

Andy

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I've had mine for about four months now and I'm really impressed by it. A lot of the time I only use the small white LED as I find it adequate but the bigger light comes in very handy, especially when you find a plumbing leak you weren't expecting...

On the strength of the quality of this I bought the BULB from Alpkit and haver found that to be very bright and well made for its size also.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
Anyone else just receive some free replacement batteries for their headtorch through the post this morning? I did, very nice of 'em!

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Yep, me too.

Very impressed with this headtorch for the price. The red LED is very useful for night vision when camping as I was this weekend with my Explorers.

Trail Magazine this month in a head-torch mini-review were very sniffy about the main LED. Having had a number of headtorches over the years, I think it's one of the best I've used.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
One thing i did find out the weekend gone, is that the green led works very well in deep fog ! The white just makes the fog glow, but the green puts out a nice tight cone that you can see by :)

Thats a good tip. I wouldn't have thought to try green.

Overall I am very impressed with this head lamp. Its great for camping or DIY. Definitely value for money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE