Alpkit brukit cooking advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Those that own this model can you cook a wayfarer boil in a bag meal in the brukit mug ?

I know you can put a pan on the top but really want to know if it can be done in its mug.

They usually take about 8 minutes to cook through. Fancy trying this instead of my usual Hexi cooker and mug.

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
You can they’re a copy of the jetboil. I will add a warning specifically about the Aplkit Brukit. I bought one and weeks later received a warning about some problemS. First time out there was a gas leak between cylinder and stove which ignited. I returned it and received a second one with no faults recorded. First time out it blew the gas between cylinder and stove and through the stove. I lost all the gas in the canister before I could do anything. Fortunately I was able to scavenge just enough wood from the nearby broom bushes and lit a fire to cook on. Alpkit to their credit gave me a refund after checking it.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
From that advice - I like simplicity so might as well stick with the Hexi stove / new fuel and metal mug. Worked for me since the mid eighties.

Last edited:

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Mike - I have a Highlander copy of the Jetboil, it's been fantastic and trouble free! To heat boil-in-the-bag meal I just cram them in the pot, cover with water and bring to the boil then simmer for a minute or two. Fast, easy and water left over to make a brew - eat the meal out of the foil packet and there's no washing up to do!
I know you might have changed your mind but the Jetboil is a great piece of kit :)
Phil

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Probably I do like things to be bombproof/reliable as well.

This doesn’t look like it.

Looks can be deceptive. My Brukit was my stove of choice on last summer's Cape Wrath Trail and it was utterly bombproof: it was strapped to the outside of my pack, in a bag, and there had to endure being bashed about, getting wet and ignored - and that was before I started cooking with it!

Like anything, if you look after it and don't abuse it, it'll serve you very well. It is a more complicated set-up than a Crusader mug and hexi stove but, arguably, offers greater flexibility and control. With the gas cylinder attached, it is quite tall and therefore unstable but you also get a neat little tripod-type thing that really helps make the Brukit a lot more stable. It is a good, reasonably-priced alternative to a Jetboil and happens to be bombproof/reliable with it! What's not to like? I have no links or interests with Alpkit et cetera...

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Thanks for the advice, I am looking a compact gas addition to the Hexi stove just for those times I want a very quick hot meal or drink.
I like to jetboil idea just not the price of a jetboil, Would never want to pay that much for a stove, just isn’t necessary.

Most of the time not in a hurry so happy to wait for the mug to boil away

cascare

Dec 10, 2012
Cleasby
I have a brewkit and never had one problem with mine, and yes you can heat the BIB meals in them. As Tiley states good bit of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE