Alone in the wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Looks interesting mate.

I have some of the Mors Kochanski videos now - very good and very interesting.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
A local public TV station broadcasted the video as part of their annual fund raising event and gave copies of it for the $100.00 donation.

I enjoyed watching and recording it. It really is an excellent autobiography filmed as it happened.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
A friend loaned me the DVD and it is a good one. Some very clever and interesting wood working as he builds his cabin....spruce root door hinges spring to mind, and many other things from his first years in the woods.

I have not seen the book but I have heard it covers a bit more ground than the video.

The book title is "One Man's Wilderness".

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
wow, this is dragging up an old thread.....I watched this viedo this evening and was totally amazed by it.

What a way of life...nit sure I could stand being on my own for 35 years but wow......

If you can get hold of the film then watch it.

:D

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
andyn said:
wow, this is dragging up an old thread.....I watched this viedo this evening and was totally amazed by it.

What a way of life...nit sure I could stand being on my own for 35 years but wow......

I'd agree entirely - if you get the chance, have a look at this film. It's completely captivating, the story is a simple enough one, but there is definately something about it that pulls you in.

I was quite affected by the life-affirming nature of this film, I have to say.

I'm glad this thread has resurfaced too, it deserves to.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
andyn said:

how much did it cost you to get it to this country? i would love to see it, it sounds great!

J

JBird

The book is good too, it touches on his background and of course things not covered on the documentary/video.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
tomtom said:
how much did it cost you to get it to this country? i would love to see it, it sounds great!

I was fortunate enough to have been given it by a friend.

monkey_pork said:
I'd agree entirely - if you get the chance, have a look at this film. It's completely captivating, the story is a simple enough one, but there is definately something about it that pulls you in.

I was quite affected by the life-affirming nature of this film, I have to say.

I totally know what you mean mate...I felt the same way after watching it. Felt very inspired after watching it.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
I can recommend both the video and the book. My suggestion is to watch the video first, and then read the book. The book contains a lot more detail (obviously) about his life plus that it goes past the first year.

Definately a inspirational thing =)

They can be ordered online at several places. I bought the book through amazon and i think the dvd can be ordered there aswell.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Viking said:
Has anyone seen the video or read the book "Alone in the Wilderness". It´s about a man that lived alone in a small cabin in the wilderness for over 20 years. Looks ivery interesting, for more info http://www.dickproenneke.com

Saw it on the educational channel. Great show. Dripping with envy.

As some one else mentioned - great woodworking!

The only thing I thought was a little "out there" was having a fireplace as his main heat source. He said it would heat the place up to about 40 degrees F in the winter. A bit nippy to my way of thinking.

PG

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Well either his temperatures are wrong or his cabin had very ineffective insulation.

I dont see how a fire can only produce enough heat to only get the room temperature to 4degsC even if it is -stupid degsC outside.

Ok so i've never camped or even lived in temperatures that low....but it certainly seems an unlikely temperature to me.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
It might be possible, that he only got it up to 4 degrees celsius.
The fireplace I believe will not give him much warmth. As far as I remember he didnt build a floor into the cabin, I dont know why but he had an gravel ground.
He was cutting the trees the first year and build the cabin the second year.
I was reading that the wood should season a bit longer. It was suggested that on should fell the trees in winter the first year, build the cabin with the roof the second and let the snow on the roof press down the wood together. Windows and doorframe should be build the third year. I dont know, I am not a carpenter but as much as I could see he didnt use any kind of insulation, and in a place like Alaska with minus 50 degrees celsius I believe plus 4 felt quite warm to him.

Then we have to remember that the guy was from another generation, we are too weak for such stuff. He managed too to live there alone for 30 years.

In the pictures I can see that he too had a stove in the cabin, acctually he should get it up to plus 20. A simple tent with a spruceground and a stove gets you up to plus 20. Its a bit odd that he didnt get it warmer. Hmmm ???

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE