Alone in the wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi all

Dose any one know if the guy ed from the program has done
any interviews about his time in the wilderness?

.Swagman

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
No... I don't know myself.

By the way the guy looked at the end of his ordeal I doubt he'd want to talk about it unless it's a person in a very specific line of work...

Meant in a good way of course, but the guy didn't look very well.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I doubt it.

it essentially documented the poor guys downfall. he was a right state by the end of it.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i have it taped ,..still cant watch it again,,,

i feel i think,...disapointed,.....

not by the content or cinematography, but that the full oppertunity he had wasnt realised properly,...by Ed himself,...

i would looove to know his thought tho,...have a beer,..sit and chat about why he thinks he went the way he did,....

my mrs says, " you dont know how you'd behave in his shoes"

some truth but ,....ah i dont know,...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got told by people in the know that he was kind of forced to stick it out by CH4 despite wanting to come home much earlier. The drop offs for his tapes had also been prearranged so that was why he couldn't stick around at his first location.
I'd like to try it for myself one day but without actually being there then it's hard to say how the isolation and a genuine fear of bears might affect an individual.

There are snippets of stuff if you google ed and his series, try here too

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
A prime example of reality TV gone wrong.

how do you mean?

surley reality tv showing the rawness that it did is ,..erm,...real,...

now Big Brother, i can agree is reality tv gone wrong,..fake laughter and drama,....and edits constructed to guide the ratings,..

maybe im being niave, but was,nt Eds a pretty close to reality account of his time there?

cheers

Stu

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Don't be too hard on Ed and his 'missed opportunities'. He was there out-of-season, which meant he had to be careful what animals he bagged - a dilemma that wouldn't have bothered someone trying to suvive by whatever means.
Keep in mind, also, that it was ultimately being made as a TV programme, and the makers had to build in a narrative for those who want a story rather than a documentary on wilderness skills. Hence the emphasis on Ed's steady breakdown.
We humans are gregarious animals by nature - we need company. It's great being on your own for a few days when you are normally surrounded by people. But being alone when you have no choice isn't so nice.
I think he did magnificently. I know I couldn't have lasted 50 days - whether due to lack of skills or lack of company. Don't be hard on poor old Ed - he did very well.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
how do you mean?

surley reality tv showing the rawness that it did is ,..erm,...real,...

now Big Brother, i can agree is reality tv gone wrong,..fake laughter and drama,....and edits constructed to guide the ratings,..

maybe im being niave, but was,nt Eds a pretty close to reality account of his time there?

cheers

Stu

Gone wrong in the sense that perhaps the chap was not trained enough, not had time to develop what he had learned, put in Wilderness that was not teaming with game and edible stuff, if it were it would not be wilderness. I've a mate who's just moved from Inuvik to Yellowknife, very experienced woodsman and hunter but even someone with his level skills will come back from a trip empty handed sometimes.

That said, if the guy had caught food and enjoyed his time, would it make good TV? Was there a hidden agenda hoping he would fail perhaps? IMHO he was a man out of his depth from the moment he was left alone.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I actually rewatched it a few weeks ago. I liked it alot more the second time. Good to see someone fail that badly. Reading some of the stuff he was posting on twitter towards the end the had really lost the plot.

But I still think the same thing as I did the first time. He really needed alot more know how to do what he did and not been SO obsessed by catching salmon. Plus I think he either read or was told about a few too meny horror stories about bears as it sent him over the edge and made him massively paranoid.

I'd of been using that .22 alot more too, squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels. Not just sitting in my hammock and looking at them.

Still good on him for giving it a go. Thats something I'd LOVE to do.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yup, definitely a better watch second or third time round.

I think some folk forget that he wasn't a survival expert trying to make a "how to", but a fairly average guy off the street who was going out there for the experience and was willing to film his ordeal for a few bucks. If the **** then he had a back out plan in place which personally I think was his down fall, plus the fact he had to move on as arranged by the producers meant he never got to settle down in one place and actually learn to live with what he had at hand.

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Just watched all 3 on c4 catch up,i thought he did well 7 weeks in all i think most people would act like he did and to have spent that time on his own he deserves a pat on the back.Not helped by being illegal to shoot the moose/caribou i think he had a bad press and i say well done mate 99% of us would probably react the same way,felt sorry for him.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I never got to see this show, but there was a long thread about it on SOTP. From what I understand, he had a whole lot of gear, but
not enough food for the summer...? If he got dropped there by a float plane, how come they didn't just give him a couple extra bear-proof
barrels full of dried food staples? Sounds like he was armed to the teeth with hardware and gadgets...
A lot of fellas might call that trip a summer vacation, but I bet anyone who would look forward to a summer alone probably wouldn't
be blessed enough in the personality department to be star of a tv show...

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I actually rewatched it a few weeks ago. I liked it alot more the second time. Good to see someone fail that badly. Reading some of the stuff he was posting on twitter towards the end the had really lost the plot.

But I still think the same thing as I did the first time. He really needed alot more know how to do what he did and not been SO obsessed by catching salmon. Plus I think he either read or was told about a few too meny horror stories about bears as it sent him over the edge and made him massively paranoid.

I'd of been using that .22 alot more too, squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels. Not just sitting in my hammock and looking at them.

Still good on him for giving it a go. Thats something I'd LOVE to do.

I said it at the time - he went in with the wrong mindset - end of. eh had fluffy bunny syndrome IMO.

but I must say I really felt for him, - poor guy lost it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE