allowed campfire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Don't know if any of you have read the Scottish Outdoor Acess Code.
I found this bit in it, and was wondering if anyone can clarify that i have read it right, and is in fact allowed.

Wherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to
light an open fire, keep it small, under control and supervised – fires that get out
of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light
an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods,
farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites
where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk.
Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave.

Reading this, it sounds like campfires are allowed if responsible

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods,
farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites.

This seems to cover pretty much the whole countryside so on one hand it says fires are allowed but then leaves you very little land to use. I'm still confused.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Having just read the paragraph, it seems to me that it might just be OK to light a campfire on a disused concrete runway, but only when its peeing down with rain and certainly not in most places where one would want to enjoy or benefit from doing so responsibly.
Perhaps my cynicism is just getting the better of me as each day passes :cry:

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I think that you will be ok to have a fire if you do so responsibly. We have always had a fire when camping etc and have never had a problem, in fact untill I came across BCUK I never knew that a fire was taboo in England and Wales.

The islands on loch Lomond is where I spend most of my outdoor time and fires are allowed, even though LL has recently become Scotlands first national park, although I think this is soon to be banned due to the large volume of irresponsible people who randomly chop live wood for their fires (idiots) :?:

A lot of the better boaters at LL often take some pallets etc... on their boats so that they can have a fire without chopping trees, which I think (provided they clear the nails up behind them) is highly commendable, even though it definatly isnt bushcraft :eek:): but it must be understood that fallen / dead wood is virtually non existant due to the sheer volume of "tourists" through the summer.

To sum up I see no reason why you shouldnt have a fire if you are careful, but never never light a fire on forrestry commission land!

Hope this helps

stuarty

C

chugnut7

Aside from the fact it's not permitted, why "never never on forestry commission land"? Do they throw the book at you if they catch you?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE