Allergies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Avoiding them seems to work for the moment without resorting to extreme methods you imply.......though no one knows what the future holds.:rolleyes:

I'm not implying anything " Extreme ". ???

More, just remove yourself from the situation where you encounter or have to interact with others.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I’m allergic/intolerant to so many things.. milk, wheat, citrus fruit, coconut, chocolate, brassica, scented candles/air fresheners, scented soaps to name a few..nightmare when I have to walk through the smellies bit in the airport or shop!
Certain nuts can kill me.. already came close to that one.
These things are becoming all to common in today’s world & I’d love to know why?

Reactions: TeeDee

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have sensitivities that cause an eczema reaction on my face. Started nearly 10 years ago, right when I was super stressed with both work and moving house. The dry patches on my face have been there all this past year, but there have been times in the past, during the summer, when the reaction dies down and I can eat things I ordinarily avoid.
The list started with just cow milk and chicken eggs, but soon grew and appears to be still growing.
Definites: Cow dairy, eggs, anything mint, ginger, chocolate,
Highly suspect (some will be definite, but hard to isolate): sesame seeds, oregano, garlic, celery, tomato, rosemary, goat milk, sun flower seeds, coconut, vanilla, pepper (black, cayenne, and paprika).

My sensitivity to dairy was very high to begin with. I could tell within seconds that a flavoured chip/crisp used lactose as a carrier for the flavouring. Now a reaction might take hours or over night, or be cumulative over days, makes it very hard to pin point what specifically has caused the reaction.

Stress definitely makes it worse.

While there is certainly a popular view that such problems are the result of raising children in clinically clean conditions, I was not raised that way, more over, both my grandmother and grandfather, who grew up in 1920s rural Kentucky had a raft of sensitivities/allergies. Can't say for sure when they started, not as children, but certainly by the 1970s.

Reactions: Toddy and TeeDee

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
These things are becoming all to common in today’s world & I’d love to know why?
This is guess, I have nothing to back it. We’re exposed to thousands of chemicals all the time, much more so than we’ve ever been. The immune system reacts to the exposure and triggers a response, thousands of times, possibly until it isn’t working properly anymore.

As I mentioned, my allergy to mussels (haven’t tested other shellfish) is quite recent. My dad kept bees all his life and now cannot take a sting. I know a bloke who has eaten Shaggy Parasols all his life but suddenly can’t anymore.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Bites get me, horse fly, midge and Mosquito, I seem to react worse than everyone around me, horse flys are the worst though.

Other bites and stings are fine, bees, wasps etc...

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Some fruits maybe kiwi fruit? Can make my throat feel a bit itchy, I assume there is some mild reaction there.

Bananas on an empty stomach cause me severe stomach pain, starts off feeling like hunger pains, then just gets progressively worse until it feels like a knife twisted into the guts...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE