Allergies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Allergies

After knocking back a whole pack of Fish Sticks ( as far as I can tell this is Surimi - a Fishmongers version of "Cut-my-own-throat-Dibblers" Sausages ) I discovered my top lip had engorged to Mick Jagger bloaty proportions for the next 18 hours to pure comedy effect.

So this made me wonder , what allergies do you guy-n-gals have and what may trigger it?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CLEM

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I always thought an egg was an egg, not so I discovered when I scoffed two delicious duck eggs and about 30 minutes later thought I was about to go over the wall, cold sweats, the jitters and projectile hurling like I’ve never seen afore. Thinking I’d got a bug or something and thinking eggs is well eggs I did exactly the same thing the following Saturday only I scoffed three delicious duck eggs with an even more explosive result. Eggs isn’t eggs

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I always thought an egg was an egg, not so I discovered when I scoffed two delicious duck eggs and about 30 minutes later thought I was about to go over the wall, cold sweats and projectile hurling like I’ve never seen afore. Thinking I’d got a bug or something and thinking eggs is well eggs I did exactly the same thing the following Saturday only I scoffed three delicious duck eggs with and even more explosive result. Eggs isn’t eggs

Wow!!! First time I've heard anything like that.

Tempted to send you a few Geese eggs.

• Haha
Reactions: CLEM

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Wow!!! First time I've heard anything like that.

Tempted to send you a few Geese eggs.
Ya great big cow bag you ha ha

Apparently quite common, there’s an enzyme in duck eggs that isn’t in most other eggs that causes those that who are sensitive to to dump huge quantities of histamine into the unfortunate souls stomach and thus the Linda Blair like hurling. Each ingestion creates a worse reaction apparently ha ha.
Also apparently if allergic to duck eggs there’s a high probability that the individual will also have the same reaction to quail eggs. I myself am not because being a bit saft as I am I tried some quail eggs to find out and I was fine, happy days ha ha

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Early 'hayfever' (birch pollen etc.), pine needles (I come out in a rash if I brush against them), raw nuts (severe itchiness in the throat leading to indigestion), cucumber! (indigestion), and wasp stings (I swell up quite worryingly).

I'm sure I didn't have all these reactions when I was a youngster :( - it does make you wonder what the next one is going to be - never tried fish sticks; I'll stay clear :)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Got a free bottle of Robinson's Mango & Orange squash from the milkman to try.
Few glasses of that and lips were wrecked, and throat was really itchy. Not pleasant. Didn't know that mango peel and outer layers contain urushiol (as does poison oak & ivy) which I guess getting into the drink, and I'm sensitive too.

And there's a filling in one of the local Chinese's crispy wontons that'll have me puking several hours later. Bit like Russian roulette trying to find the cause on that one.

• Haha

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Early 'hayfever' (birch pollen etc.), pine needles (I come out in a rash if I brush against them), raw nuts (severe itchiness in the throat leading to indigestion), cucumber! (indigestion), and wasp stings (I swell up quite worryingly).

I'm sure I didn't have all these reactions when I was a youngster :( - it does make you wonder what the next one is going to be - never tried fish sticks; I'll stay clear :)

You tried Jogging bottoms?

:)

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mussels, and only recently as I‘ve eaten them happily all my life. I assumed I’d eaten a bad one and it was quite a while before I ate them again and ended up pretty much camping in the bathroom that night too. To add insult, I seem to have developed an allergy to wine too, particularly dry whites, but any wine in quantity gives me IBS symptoms.

Last two holidays abroad where I’ve been bitten by mosquitos and I’ve had to take antihistamines and Ibuprofen when I’ve never been too bothered before except by the itch of a bite.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Cashews are in same family of plants as poison ivy, and mango. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacardiaceae
Cucumber has a bad affect, few hours after eating start burping cucumber flavour.

Only had hayfever symptoms once though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fish, bananas, kiwi fruit, and I can't digest milk.
Cleg bites are a nightmare, I carry an epi-pen for those.

It's astonishing just how prevalent it is to 'pollute' food with things you wouldn't expect.
There's wee fishes in Worchester sauce, and isinglas is used to clear wine....and they used to use fish scales to make the pearlescent glimmer in bath products.
Not a lot of fun when you break out in hellishly itchy hives, or throw up if I actually end up with the fish in my food.
Passing a fishmongers can be like a sudden attack of the worst hayfever.

Banana essence is used in medicines...not terribly good when you have instant trout pout and burning swollen inside mouth and throat from it though. It's also in a lot of those healthy fruit juice mixes as is kiwi fruit.

Milk's more an intolerance really, I just get really nauseous and find myself suddenly needing a really quick trip to the loo :rolleyes:

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
I tried Asda's own Tortilla chips,my lips started swelling up after the first couple.Took ages for the tingling to die down.I could hardly finish the bag.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Especially when you think how they formed such an important part of our diet in pre-history.

I have a theory that it's the higher volatile oils that are driven off when roasted that are the problem but I have no evidence or data :)

Yes, sorry I should have added as we are hairless apes.

Unless you are a creationist.. In which case , have a word with the big man and ask him why?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE