All two year olds need this. :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clydeman

Aug 9, 2017
Glasgow
:) Love it ,although my young grandson who is only six asked for a new baco Laplander saw for Christmas as he was not happy sharing his grandads as he makes him wear gloves and never use unless he is there to show him how to do it safe.......but his request for a mora knife has fallen on santa claus death ears so far:happy:

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
View attachment 47695
Purely for educational purposes only. :D

I like the idea but not sure about the inclusion of a fuel can!
I had the grand children with me for the day yesterday (8 & 5); spent the whole day in the wood, lit a fire by spark, cooked soup, flat breads on the skillet, made a den with sticks and even a simple bow and arrow :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
mora safety knife with blunt tip ???

1417442122_09.jpg

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I'd stick to (pun unintended) a folder at that age.
A multi tool knife is fine too. With a cork screw, magnifying glass and a screwdriver or two.

Important the kids learn how to pull a cork when young. And if mom allows, they can be taught how to chase ants with the magnifier a nice sunny summer day!
Hours of fun, hours!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Got one of these for my (then 9yr old) son. Wife doesn't like knives and when she saw it she went mad with me. I calmly assured her it would be fine, we'd talked about safety, he knew the rules etc and she calmed down, but then went mental when he cut his finger within 3 minutes!!!

Everyone cuts themselves, I nearly severed a finger with my first Swiss Army knife when it folded shut on me and my hand hit the ground. It's a damage limitation exercise, if it hadn't had a point, I wouldn't have been piercing with it. The My First Opinels are good, and the blade locks. Not to say that the possibility of cutting oneself with a slipjoint should be ignored, I still bear a scar from the SAK.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Got one of these for my (then 9yr old) son. Wife doesn't like knives and when she saw it she went mad with me. I calmly assured her it would be fine, we'd talked about safety, he knew the rules etc and she calmed down, but then went mental when he cut his finger within 3 minutes!!!
I remember the worst cut I ever gave myself. I too was about 9 years old. I was whittling something in the back yard with a butcher knife I'd taken out of the kitchen drawer and the knife slipped and cut a huge (in relation to my 9 year old hand) gash across the back of my thumb. Did Mama get mad? I never told her; just put a bandaid on it, washed the knife and put it away.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My mother made me a camp fire at the bottom of the garden when I was five (no, really!). All went well until the little lad next door put the toasting fork on the fire and I took it off because I knew it shouldn't be there - first fire, first burn and I'm still learning (at over 60 :) )

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am a slow learner too. I managed to cut into the left hands middle finger joint two or three years ago while cutting a hook loose on a living cod.
Cod twitched, knife slipped and forcefully embedded itself into the joint.
Deep cut, into the cartilage and bone. Took me forever to get back the mobility I need in my fingers.

Kids need to cut, burn themselves, and get other damage.

Last edited:

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
It used to be called 'life' and we got on with it :)
Now the little darlings are plugged into their phones and games systems which mummy and daddy are quite happy with. The ironic thing is that most of them can use gadgetry but very few have any real IT skills!
Reminds me of fixing my Dansett record player, I think I was about 10 or 11, I was asking my brother to get ready to flick the switch back on but before I'd finished, he did! That was me thrown back a few feet with the shock and a strange sensation I'd not had before, no harm done and I'd discovered a new experience :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE