M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No idea who these teens are but they caught a nice alligator gar

11081413_932346163483503_6812010615772444500_n.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Are they tasty Santaman? Nice big fish, looks like it'd be a fighter.

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Are they tasty Santaman? Nice big fish, looks like it'd be a fighter.

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

I don't eat gar of any species personally; but some people do and these should be as tasty (or untasty) as any other gar species.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i would'nt want to encounter one of those while swimming...

I always thought the same way as a kid. The truth however is that I'm not aware of a single incident of them ever attacking people. There were a few occasions when they'd take down a duck nearby though and raise your blood pressure.

There's a ton of forced perspective in that pic.

I keep seeing this comment a lot; as if it were something unexpected. That's the way this type pic's supposed to be composed. However! Here's a short gallery (under a minute) of various perspectives of the top 10 alligator gar. https://youtu.be/aKKxJgD_Qpw

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Maybe the case in the US. But if you're really proud of a good fish then it's better to put actual size references in not compose the photo so it looks bigger than it really is.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Maybe the case in the US. But if you're really proud of a good fish then it's better to put actual size references in not compose the photo so it looks bigger than it really is.

But we all know the fishermans tale scenario where it gets bigger with every pint bought for him, these days the beer buyers want pics or it did not happen;)

Rob.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Yes. If the purpose is to record data. But more often the purpose is to share the excitement and preserve the memory of the same.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Or, perhaps, its to make people look smaller than they actually are :p

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, as a scholar Id like to know how big things really are.

It always irks me to see pics of artefacts with no scale...You notice many of my pics for sale have a readily identifiable item in, such as a pen or an AA battery that we all know the size of

Its a fearsome fish, eh? I heard gar have tough scales, settles used to make ploughshares out of their skins

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wonder how old that fish is?

I hope they'll eat it and not waste it. Not good to waste good animal and food. I heard they are becoming uncommon in some places down there?

Their range has shrunk to 14 southern states now Joe. they used to be found as far north as the states along the Great Lakes.

HillBill: I have found where they were indeed targeted by government programs once. No idea how long ago that was though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE