Alice packs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phil6201

Nov 16, 2008
New Zealand
We have them issued at work I love them so much I went and spent about $600NZD on a Karrimor 60-100 so I never have to carry a damn ALICE pack again!

Never has such a bulky, awkward pack been designed that can hold so little.

Of course much of my issue with it comes from the fact that about 10 years ago I tore a disc in my lower back, right where the lumbar pad of an Alice pack transfers all the weight too.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I always love the retro-look of the ALICE packs. But they have a killer reputation.
I wonder hwo comfy they woud be without the metal frame?
Does anyone know the capacity of the different sizes - Small, medium, large (wasn't the small one a civilian thing?)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I always love the retro-look of the ALICE packs. But they have a killer reputation.
I wonder hwo comfy they woud be without the metal frame?
Does anyone know the capacity of the different sizes - Small, medium, large (wasn't the small one a civilian thing?)

I dont use the frame with mine and its mega comfy if you pack it right, it moulds to the shape of your back. Its the medium one and Id guess it were about 40-45l :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
It should be pointed out that most of the complaints about military equipment are from those in the military that were forced to carry huge loads.

civilian use of Military rucksacks is a different issue, we don;'t have to carry Ammunition, NBC gear, etc etc.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi durulz,yes you are correct the U.S. military never issued a small ALICE rucksack only medium and large size...also no buttpack(bumpack)was ever issued as part of the ALICE web equipment set..i still use my medium or large ALICE ruck for camping all the time, but anymore just as a suit case from home to camp via my jeep:) ..vince g. 11binf

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
It should be pointed out that most of the complaints about military equipment are from those in the military that were forced to carry huge loads.

civilian use of Military rucksacks is a different issue, we don;'t have to carry Ammunition, NBC gear, etc etc.

My use of it was entirely as a civilian carrying a normal backpacking load of kit,

• Sleeping bag,
  • Clothing,
  • Waterproofs,
  • Cooking kit,
  • Bivvy set up
  • A few days food etc

I figure a 15-20kg load however it was being carried for a good few hours per day in terrain like this....

DSCF0166.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...It's also interesting to note the the USMC now issues the ILBE pack which is based on a modern Arcteryx Design ( The Tango IIRC) to replace the ALICE.

I'm not a fan as you can tell.

Actually ALICE was replaced by MOLLE. The ILBE gear (including the pack system) was designed to replace that.

It's difficult for me to understand how people can call ALICE "old school" or "retro." I guess I'm showing my age when I think of ALICE as the "modern" replacement for old school packs.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've had a little look on modular carrying stuff/ packframes, the Molle gen iv frame looks pretty good but I've only found them in america so while you can get one pretty cheap when adding shipping [possibly duty charges] and VAT on top it bumps the price up:(

I did cobble a set of webbing together but for me there wasn't enough stability to it [which got me thinking of a frame]

Just on apperances the Alice frame looks pretty uncomfortable but I've never tried one and looks can be decieving - I have heard lots of good and bad things about them I guess it's one of those things which you'll never know unless you try it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've had a little look on modular carrying stuff/ packframes, the Molle gen iv frame looks pretty good but I've only found them in america so while you can get one pretty cheap when adding shipping [possibly duty charges] and VAT on top it bumps the price up:(

I did cobble a set of webbing together but for me there wasn't enough stability to it [which got me thinking of a frame]

Just on apperances the Alice frame looks pretty uncomfortable but I've never tried one and looks can be decieving - I have heard lots of good and bad things about them I guess it's one of those things which you'll never know unless you try it.

The ALICE has been comfortable for me; the one issue I have is that the wait belt rides a bit high (I'm 6' 2" and with a long torso and short legs so the effect means an even taller back)

Are you sure you mean gen IV regarding the MOLLE? The last one to use an external frame was gen II.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Last edited:

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
The one you need for the ALICE is I think the 1606 the other one needs a hacksaw taking to it to fit, if anyone was planning on ordering one then I'd be interested in splitting the postage with them as it's about as much as the frame itself!
Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE