Alcomden stones via Top Withens

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Well Friday morning was wet and windy, and the shed fever was begining to start,
so I packed the waterproofs and set of in torrential rain and gale force winds to
arrive at Stanbury near Haworth in between showers.Followed the bridal way up
passed Low Withens, Middle Withens and arrived at Top Withens i.e. "Wuthering Heights"
TopWithens.jpg

just as the rain started up again.So into the Bothy (thank you Bradford council) a roof is nice in the rain and wind,
TopWBothy.jpg

and dinner was last nights home made soup :-
chopped small - potatoes,carrots,onions,leeks,garlic,broccoli.smoked bacon,chiles,pepper,salt,chicken stock cube, water, cook till soft
x2 bags water cress just cover with water - blanch add to above then into blender.Re-heat to serve
TopWithensbrewup.jpg

Soup re-heated on a 1946 Coleman petrol stove, soup in billy of water in an oven bag then water used to make a brew.
Close up for the "shiney"kit freaks of an A1946 Coleman 530 running on Panel Wipe
(A - thats jan to june manufacture)
stovecloseup.jpg

Soup eaten with toasted
home made bread, while looking out of the door at the Rainbow
rainbowoutthedoor.jpg

The rain stopped and I set off on a compass bearing over the moor to the Alcomden stones, to meet the chief Druid Teddy
Alcomden Stones
53* 49' 4.4N - 2* 2' 32.7"W
AlcomdenStonesCrusher.jpg

it was then another compass bearing up to the sky line to view the way back to the van parked about 1/2 mile below the arrow
wayback-1.jpg

Managed the whole day without needing the water-proofs so the moral must be if you fancy a day out just make the effort and go regardless of the weather you might be lucky
cheers all Danny

Last edited:

red dreads

Nov 14, 2009
Eilean a Cheo
Looks magic Dan ,I'm not familiar with this area at all. What is the semi ruined building? And I'm interested in the stones, any history?

thanks for sharing

regds Stevie

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Danny was that area at some time under water,eg the sea? the reason i ask is that those circular indentations that ted's sat in look like something we get here in the rocks which are caused by either pebbles being caught in a crack and erroding the surrounding rock with the movement of the tide or as my brother informs me(he's a marine biologist) sea urchins eating down into the rock as they get bigger they get trapped and they have no option but to continue to eat down and around causing a bubble shaped hole

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Looks magic Dan ,I'm not familiar with this area at all. What is the semi ruined building? And I'm interested in the stones, any history?

thanks for sharing

regds Stevie

Infoplaque.jpg

and if you want to read the book http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/768
Can't find much history about the stones but they're so prominent on the sky line I'm sure thet they must have been visited for 1000's of years
cheers Danny

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Danny was that area at some time under water,eg the sea? the reason i ask is that those circular indentations that ted's sat in look like something we get here in the rocks which are caused by either pebbles being caught in a crack and erroding the surrounding rock with the movement of the tide or as my brother informs me(he's a marine biologist) sea urchins eating down into the rock as they get bigger they get trapped and they have no option but to continue to eat down and around causing a bubble shaped hole

Hi Andy I'm sure they're flowing water formed but don't know when.You can see by the ice scrape marks that the glaciers have pushed them about broken them up and turned some sideways the red arrow is at the main group but here's another perched boulder near by
lookingtomainstones.jpg

and back to the main group two broken bowls
icejiggled.jpg

There's lots of these type hollows in the Limestone becks north of me where the pebbles swirl round and round and drill carve out the hollow some of them at Linton falls bellow Grassington are big enough to stand in and have some great marble like round pebbles in the bottom.
But have you come across the term Bullan ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullaun
look very similar but man made
cheers Danny

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Danny never came across the word ''bullaun''before i just asked because the are marks like that at in the rocks on the coast near me at low tide and when my brother saw them when he was up once he told me two of the ways they can be formed.

red dreads

Nov 14, 2009
Eilean a Cheo
Thanks Dan,

We have small Bulluan type stones here, usually near to any place cows were kept. There are tales of the stones being filled with some milk from the cattle as offerings to "the wee folk" or" sidhe"(shee) , mischievous beings who were reputed to be able to curdle milk , harm calves etc.:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE