Alcohol stove (yet another)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I love that!

A question for you as someone who obviously knows his way around a stove - why don't the Coleman liquid fuel stoves (having just watched your video, and pondered it about my own) need a preheat? They are so simple to use compared to everything else?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nice Turm Sport Rik...

Looks like it's lost most of it's paint....

Yep it has John, but to be honest I'm not one for brasso or painting I just want the stove to work.

The 'wick' running inside the feeder tube had rotted on that one so I made a new one out of pipe (tobacco) cleaners, works really well, just make sure they are cotton cleaners. I picked up one of the 1950's models, some pratt had painted it 'stealth / SAS' black :rolleyes: Still works though :)

I've a Turm 38 domestic model on the printer table next to my PC, I often make a coffee on that in the morning while checking my email :cool:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Yep it has John, but to be honest I'm not one for brasso or painting I just want the stove to work.

The 'wick' running inside the feeder tube had rotted on that one so I made a new one out of pipe (tobacco) cleaners, works really well, just make sure they are cotton cleaners. I picked up one of the 1950's models, some pratt had painted it 'stealth / SAS' black :rolleyes: Still works though :)

I've a Turm 38 domestic model on the printer table next to my PC, I often make a coffee on that in the morning while checking my email :cool:

I was lucky in that the one I've got had seen little use... and the wick was in good nick just needed a claen out and blow through with an air line...

Your control rod / handle is different to mine if it's stored in the case...

Photos of mine below.....

Tumclosed-1.jpg

Turmopen-1.jpg

TurmPriming-1.jpg

TurmBurner-1.jpg

I like it a lot its compact easy to use and completely silent (compared to an XGK) and has good perfomance and fits into a PLCE side pouch with my food bag a small trangia fuel bottle and my steel mug....

nice one....

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Well that is just the sweetest thing. There's some sort of little key thingy tucked into the base there near the hinge. What's that for?.

Want, want, want.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was lucky in that the one I've got had seen little use... and the wick was in good nick just needed a claen out and blow through with an air line...

Your control rod / handle is different to mine if it's stored in the case...

Photos of mine below.....

Tumclosed-1.jpg

Turmopen-1.jpg

TurmPriming-1.jpg

TurmBurner-1.jpg

I like it a lot its compact easy to use and completely silent (compared to an XGK) and has good perfomance and fits into a PLCE side pouch with my food bag a small trangia fuel bottle and my steel mug....

nice one....

Nice one John, I actually bought that same model, same colour in 1972 or 1973 from Blacks shop in Birmingham, I may be wrong but I think it cost me about £4 new so I guess yours is ten or so years younger than mine. I think your was the first model not to store the control rod in the case.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
oh right and do you preheat it to get the temp up sufficiently so that it vapourises?

interesting stuff, so i take it that apart from obvious seals these are pretty low maintenance and durable?

They are very low maintenance but, (there is always a but) there is a wick running down the feed pipe which were orientally wicking wrapped around a wire. Over time the meths will rot the wire; my repair method was to use pipe cleaners to make a new wick.

These folding models can fetch good money these days but the table top domestic stoves can be had for little coin, check on eBay Germany.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
They are very low maintenance but, (there is always a but) there is a wick running down the feed pipe which were orientally wicking wrapped around a wire. Over time the meths will rot the wire; my repair method was to use pipe cleaners to make a new wick.

These folding models can fetch good money these days but the table top domestic stoves can be had for little coin, check on eBay Germany.

wow german and US ebay have loads of them.......

gonna get bidding on some i think :D

found a 22b which is kinda like a double burner 8R - looks a bit big for lugging about lol :D but would be amazing for meets

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE