Alcohol stove fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
For those of you running alcohol stoves where are you getting your fuel form?

A 500ml bottle of Meths is £4 around here which is crazy expensive.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can buy meths much cheaper than that online in large containers, or use drums of methanol (which is toxic if absorbed through the skin so be sensible), or buy bio ethanol...there are many choices - all of which are in the forum if you search :)

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
Cheers guys.

So which high-street chains sells methanol or bio alcohol? Is B&Q the only place? there aren't really any independant hardware store around Norwich. Thorns in a rip off for everything.

A forum search for buy alcohol just returned a bunch a threads on people deciding which stove to buy. Precious little about where people are buying their fuel from and how much for.

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Methanol contains a 3rd less energy than ethanol for the same volume or weight.

Cost wise, methanol would need to be under 80 pence/l to make it comparible to B+Q's/Asda's £1.20/l bio-ethanol.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
You need to ask for it. They dont put it on display

I do, never in stock... tried four local ones including the superstore... no joy - have been looking to get some for a few years, would love to try it, but for now I'll stick to meths.

I buy five litres for £14 from my local farm suppliers.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I do, never in stock... tried four local ones including the superstore... no joy - have been looking to get some for a few years, would love to try it, but for now I'll stick to meths.

I buy five litres for £14 from my local farm suppliers.

bummer. If you have one near you try the ASDA home living stores. They carry it too

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Going to pop in to b&q today, which section is it in? I know meths is in painting and they have a few bits near the bbq's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joab at the Binley store its with the ethanol fire places on the end of an isle on the checkout side about half way up. Just grab a store assistant near that bit or just ask at customer services

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Methanol contains a 3rd less energy than ethanol for the same volume or weight.

Cost wise, methanol would need to be under 80 pence/l to make it comparible to B+Q's/Asda's £1.20/l bio-ethanol.

But in reality it makes no noticeable difference when cooking so its still a great deal.

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Loads of bioethanol in stock at my local b & q today. i guess it's because it's warming up. Gone up to £5 for 2ltrs now though.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Doing some diy jobs in the house so was in B&Q yesterday, two different stores, no joy. that makes a total of six different stores in Nottinghamshire, no stock of bio ethanol.... ever. I'd love to try it, but can't see it replacing meths if there is not a reliable source :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE