Alcohol Stove from deodorant can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
I knocked this up yesterday whilst bored and I'm looking for some advice i've made a couple of coke can penny stoves in the past but thought i'd try something different. Its a deodorant can i've cut the very top off to give an large slightly shaped opening i suspect this provides purely aesthetic advantages, negated by the burnt paint, and i've put some air hole around near the rim to try and encourage air flow. Cat stove esq?

In one of the pictures you can see some combustion around the air holes. I wonder if the air holes are helping the stove or if its just wasting fuel. I've managed to boil about 200ml on a cap full of fuel and it doesn't need much priming so with a bit more fuel it could be an adequate stove.

I don't have any similar cans hand to experiment so I'm just wondering if any one else has experimented much with this type to chip in. I'm not sure about what design its ended following, a cat can one maybe?

IMG_3660 by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

IMG_3669 by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
Thats pretty cool, though I'm using a cone type wind shield so the pot rests above the burner not on it so the side burner isn't ideal since it never gets pressurised.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Interesting looking stove Steve

Is that two halves of the same can pressed together, there's no chamber between the layers ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just had a go at one Steve and it's turned out quite well

I used a wider can for the outer skin and top, then I used a narrower can for the inside fuel chamber. First I cut the wide can at 60mm from the top, then I cut the nozzle piece off and then punched some holes around the base. The smaller inner can was cut at 58mm and then holes punched around the top. Crimp round the base of the wide can piece with some pliers, then cut 15mm off the wide can bottom.
Slide the narrow can up inside then put the base on a push together in a vice.

openstove.jpg

I'll pull it apart and get some photos when it's cooled down.

It's a bit tall this one but it's only a test, I might have a go at a shorter one next

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Here we go then ...

openstove.jpg

It looks like the middle can is taller but that's because I've crimped the one on the left.
DSC02745P.jpg

DSC02746P.jpg

DSC02747P.jpg

DSC02748P.jpg

DSC02751P.jpg

DSC02750P.jpg

I've noticed already that it really needs to be primed otherwise it's a nightmare to light, I think if I do a shorter one that will help though.

steveo_mcg

Apr 26, 2010
Edinburgh
Interesting looking stove Steve

Is that two halves of the same can pressed together, there's no chamber between the layers ?

Yeah its just one can I gently pressed the tapered end into the cup end then removed it and put it in the other way. The actual flame hole is just the size that the nozle used to be attached to. 30mm for the apeture and the cup is about 45mm.

My one doesn't seem to have much trouble priming. I've got a little lip that holds a tiny amount of fuel to help heat the cup. Its funny watching it prime the flame slowly works up the cup till it hits those air holes and blooms.

Your one looks nice a sturdy, my one the top section can slide down and it will cover the air holes. I think i'll try a dual wall one next, need to get some more deodorant cans.

I think making it shorter will be my first mod, it holds a lot fuel which is completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE