Alcohol in Thermos?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I just got myself a Thermos (Thermax range) and was wondering if it would be usable to keep white wine or other liquors cool during the upcoming summer :)
Would this be a really bad idea since the alcohol might damage some of the materials used in the Thermos or would it be just fine?

Figured some of you might have experience... ;)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Would that be a glass or stainless steel vacuum flask?

I haven't put alcohol in one myself but so long as it is fully fermented I can't see why it wouldn't be okay. Hip flasks are often in stainless steel and most alcohol bottles are glass.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
It's a stainless steel version, with some plastic top which is in contact with the liquid. Specific model is Thermos Thermax Ultralite Stainless Steel Flask (as sold by Ray Mears' shop).

The Thermos website warns about the following:
# Avoid abrasive, solvent & bleach products
Would alcohol be categorized under any of those?

What made me wonder are metal fuel bottles (from MSR) which explicitly note not to store Ethanol inside, maybe because of the rubber ring sealing the lid?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I dont know about it being a bleach but Croatian "Rekia" (sp) took the colour out of my cheeks!
Personally I can see no reason not to carry booze in a vacuum flask - as long as it is a/ not fizzy ie Lager or Asti Spumante (or even Champagne)
or
b/ still fermenting
Still booze ie wines or spirits should be fine IMHO

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I dont know about it being a bleach but Croatian "Rekia" (sp) took the colour out of my cheeks!

That stuff is nasty ! The last time i drank that stuff and i mean the last time it sent me blind :eek: It was quite handy actually as a friend found me trying to get into my car, good job it was with his car keys as opposed to mine.. Never agin !

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Last time i drank Rakia was in Croatia itself - the bus journey down to the Plitvice lakes the morning after was pure torture; waves of heat and nausea passing through me for two hours :(

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No problem carrying some chilled wine etc in a Thermos.

I've got a Thermax, they are the best flask I've ever owned, top kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE