alco gel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh, I hadn't seen that stuff :cool:
I have used the gel that comes in tins meant to heat chaffing dishes.......the ones the restaurants use to keep food hot, sort of thing. Getting it out of the tins and into something easily carried was a pain though.
That stuff you've found looks a much better bet :)

If you get some, and try it out, will you let us know how you get on with it please ?
The Swiss Volcano stoves are supposed to run on wee tins of heat gel; this might make that a viable option :D

cheers,
Toddy

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ill probably order some when i get paid for some trials since it works out cheaper than meths at this price ill be also looking at making something to fit my trangia for family camping as well...

by the time i get it will be post christmas / new year so ill update and report back once i have given it a go.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :)
Tempted myself tbh. Meths now works out at £8 a litre bought from B&Q and himself uses it daily in his coffee brew thing.
This knocks that kind of price, even with delivery :yikes: into a cocked hat :D
I'm wondering if the Chinese supermarket in Glasgow might have it; they do have the chaffing gel. It wouldn't cost me£13.90 in petrol to buy it there either.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
rightway sell 500ml of meths for about £3 a little cheaper than BBQ i found a tin of greenheat gel in my gear hoard that i was given ages ago unopened i might do some tests with that i am guessing its the same stuff if i get success then ill be on amazon to order the big bottles...i came accross a website whilst looking for bulk orders of that gel that sell kitchen gear that run off it e.g burners etc which was interesting to know that some people out there actually cook with the stuff even hinted towards restaurants using it...

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
anyone tried using stuff like this instead of green heat sachets

Yep.. I've been using the exact same stuff for well over a year in my hobo stove, I pour it into a small tin lid, from something or other, that happen's to be just the right size for a good boil.
A small 100ml bottle gets me 4 boil's of water, about 500ml of water at a time.
It is better than meths IMHO, because it doesn't spill, if you kick it over (numpty moment)
It smell's a bit weird, so I keep upwind of it, just in case.

Hope this help's

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Including postage, twenty-eight pounds seventy for five litres! :yikes:

I pay about seven Euros for five litres of meths ("alcool à brûler") at any supermarket France. If anybody wants me to bring some back next time I'm over there on four wheels, just shout -- group buy?

Couldn't post it anywhere of course, we'd need to meet up or arrange some sort of pass-the-parcel.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive got loads of those chafing gel tins, i find it awful,cant get a good heat out of it, ive been mixing it with some old hexi's as you can light the former with a spark from a ferro rod,but the hexi's burn alot better for heating up my crusader mug.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Ive got loads of those chafing gel tins, i find it awful,cant get a good heat out of it, ive been mixing it with some old hexi's as you can light the former with a spark from a ferro rod,but the hexi's burn alot better for heating up my crusader mug.

Cough **puts Chef head on ** ahem...

Chafing gel was designed to keep food warm once its cooked. As this is from 63 deg C and above, most chafing gel doesn't have much of an oomph.

Having said that, you can burn the arrse out of food in a chafing dish that runs off two gel burners as the food is used up.

Hope this helps.

**Chef head off, back to normality**

Liam

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I use this stuff a lot. Specially with the crusader cooker it works fine, doesn't stink and the residue is easily washed off. I carry the stuff in contact lens fluid bottles or in the SAT plastic alcohol container.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you Opal :)

I would never have considered buying meths and the like on ebay, but that's half the price :cool:

And on that note..........anyone got any good, safe, ideas for storing fuel ? Our lock-up is a five minute walk from the house :sigh: so that's out really.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE