Alan Wood Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
My Alan Wood knife arrived today - fantastic. Brill, love it, pics to follow.

100new_bushcraft-med.JPG

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
It looks much better in this pic, than the one on Tamaracks site. Excellent looking knife, though the spine is a tad too steep, IMO. :biggthump

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Too steep for what?

Aesthetically perhaps (though I think it's quite an attractive knife), but it's actuially rather nice to handle. That hump gives planty of meat in the blade which makes it nice if you're choking right up over the point. Also, the point point is well centered down the axis of the knife. It's a nice design and as you handle it, the cleverness of it becomes more and more apparent. The symmetry of the handle makes it comfortable in just about every orientation I can think of.

Is it better than the woodlore? Well the jury's still out on that, I'm trying hard to be objective, but I cant help liking it. :biggthump

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
I have once made 120 copies of one of my knives, which were identical, apart from wood and Micarta types, and by the 50th one, I was dreading the next one!
I could do them in my sleep, and when the last one was done, I did not make a knife for at least two months!
I sympathasize with Alan.
I do agree that people sometimes get fixated with the "name", and there are most definitely other makers to consider.
Making your own, is a good start, as long as you follow the principles of correct heat treatment for the steel type, and the construction is sound.
That is exactly how I started...

Stu

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
Shing said:
I suppose its like a painter being asked to paint the same picture over and over again, not very nice.

quite true but the RM Woodlore will pay for AWs mortgage! If you're self-employed there can be nothing better than a model like this where AW knows that he can continue selling them until the cows come home. boring yes but extremely good business.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
CM Burns said:
quite true but the RM Woodlore will pay for AWs mortgage! If you're self-employed there can be nothing better than a model like this where AW knows that he can continue selling them until the cows come home. boring yes but extremely good business.

Looks like i will be helping his mortage payments at last. I had a call today from the Woodlore team. My knife is ready for dispatch in time for Christmas.

Oh happy days.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
CM Burns said:

doesn't sound like he has much of a problem with getting orders though. He can always pick it up again at a later date

great wayne, I'm sure you'll love it

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
BIG-TARGET said:
Sounds like he became a victim of his own success. :-|

The alternative is to ramp the prices up so high that only a few wealthy people can afford his work. That's the usual way for custom knifemakers to manage thier workload. At the end of the day, he is one man and there is a limit to how much he can physically produce and a point at which a labour of love becomes a chore. Personally, I think he's done well to make as many as he has done.

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
part of this back-log is down to sheer bad luck - a back injury earlier in the year and most recently a large % of a Woodlore batch were not heat-treated correctly - AW rejetced them (he outsources this process....)

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
Wayne said:
Looks like i will be helping his mortage payments at last. I had a call today from the Woodlore team. My knife is ready for dispatch in time for Christmas.

Oh happy days.

i just spoke to Woodlore - they have now sent out all the knives that they had in this batch. Next lot hopefully due by end of January 2005 - "hopefully" as my name is next on that list!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE