Alan Wood Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
There are a couple on ebay at the moment but that is nothing new and I'm sure they will go for silly money as usual. What prompted me to post is that one guy claims that Alan is going to cease making woodlore's soon. I have noticed that his version has been out of stock on raymears.com for a good few months now.

Is the guy making this up to get the bidding frenzy going or is there a shred of truth in it?

this is the one I might ask Woodlore as they are always helpful but I thought I would see if you guys knew first.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i can imagin they would want to stop making it, it must be a good money spinner for ray and alan!

Perhaps the guy is talking about this batch..
let us know what woodlore say Bill!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I could see alan might want to stop making this one. I'd get bored making the same knife. He's become much more well known for this knife. Maybe if he makes more collectors knives they will be worth more and be more fun to make

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would not be surprised if Alan did stop making the Woodlore knives. I spoke to him at this summer's CLA Game Fair and he said that if anything his work load had increased since the release of the WS knife, not dropped as he had hoped. The demand is such that he doesn't have time to make as many of his own knives as he would like, nor spend as long on each Woodlore as he would like.

Since Alan Wood sells his own versions of the Woodlore (more than one), every bit as nice as Ray's design, it isn't as if A. Wood bushcraft knives are going to be imposible to get.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
tenbears10 said:
There are a couple on ebay at the moment but that is nothing new and I'm sure they will go for silly money as usual. What prompted me to post is that one guy claims that Alan is going to cease making woodlore's soon. I have noticed that his version has been out of stock on raymears.com for a good few months now.

Is the guy making this up to get the bidding frenzy going or is there a shred of truth in it?

this is the one I might ask Woodlore as they are always helpful but I thought I would see if you guys knew first.

Bill

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. If I were Alan, I'd be sick to the back teeth of that knife and gagging for the day I made my last. :wink:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think everyone agrees then that it is quite a possibility that Alan will knock it on the head soon.

Interesting.

Bill

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I can understand why, as a craftsman, he might want to stop/limit making them because it's an item sold primerily on the merit of the designer rather than the maker.

Good knife but seriously not worth the money they are now going for second hand.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
If anyone is interested, a very good alternative to the "woodlore" knife is the Brusletto range:

http://www.brusletto.no/wip4/en/products_detail.epl?c=328&id=2555&cat=339

I've been using one for the last 5 years and have been excellent, an exceptionally well made tool, the blade is not too long either so it tends to be that little better in the eyes of the law (and more easy to handle than something with a longer blade), the handle is made from birch and is comfortable.

It is stainless so you cannot strike sparks from it, but that is what a strike a light, some flint and a little charred cloth is excellent for!

Greg

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
greg2935 said:
It is stainless so you cannot strike sparks from it, but that is what a strike a light, some flint and a little charred cloth is excellent for!
Greg
Have you tried it? Stainless will cast sparks from a ferro rod no problems (unless you mean casting a spark from natural flint).

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
tomtom said:
god i can only see this pushin the price of a woodlore higher!

Excellent - that means mine is worth more. :naughty:
Anyone want to buy a used woodlore - shall we say £1000 as a starting bid ??? :eek:):

That was a joke by the way - there's no way I'd part with it for that small amount of money :nana:

Cheers

Mark

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
greg2935 said:
If anyone is interested, a very good alternative to the "woodlore" knife is the Brusletto range:

http://www.brusletto.no/wip4/en/products_detail.epl?c=328&id=2555&cat=339

I've been using one for the last 5 years and have been excellent, an exceptionally well made tool, the blade is not too long either so it tends to be that little better in the eyes of the law (and more easy to handle than something with a longer blade), the handle is made from birch and is comfortable.

Greg
Yep,
Or pop over to British blades and look at the stuff made by Mushi, Shing, Guycep, ZDP and countless others I havn't got in my collection yet. Every bit as good and useful and a hand made one off for about the price of the cheap WS.
Cheers
David

leon-1

Adi007 said:
Have you tried it? Stainless will cast sparks from a ferro rod no problems (unless you mean casting a spark from natural flint).

I have had a stainless brusletto for a long time now, the spine on it is slightly rounded at the edges so casting sparks isn't easy. You can flatten the spine of with a file to get a better edge if you wish, this will give a decent shower of sparks from a Firesteel.

A

Airborne

im sorry to bring the woodlores "rival" up but i was wondering about the dartmoor survival knife.i read a few negative reports on it in other threads but i was wondering if anyone would have any idea where i could pick up the older version of this knife up.i have tried everywhere. appreciated if anyone could help.[/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE